PDA

View Full Version : Dear SAC, A question:

Brownie 12th U.S.
10-11-2012, 10:22 PM
Looking at the "N-SSA PRODUCTION APPROVED REPRODUCTION ARMS, BARRELS, AND PROCESSES For
HAND AND SHOULDER ARMS" I find under "Approved Replacement Barrels by Maker" that the Bly, John D. Maynard Carbine, Model 2 - .50 cal., 20” barrel is approved with the caveat below:
N.B. – All approvals are for the barrel only, i.e. without sights, bayonet lugs, or studs. Listings can contain alternative uses of the basic approved barrel. Consult the SAC for clarifications.

So SAC, the questions:
The barrel I purchased has sights. Do I need to have the new assembly approved by the SAC?
The barrel I purchased is in the white. Is bluing required, or can I shoot it with a quick spray of sight black?

And a non-SAC question, Does Mr. Bly's work rock or what? That barrel is as clean as I have seen on any firearm. Superlative work. Frankly, a bargain. I can't wait to get that on the line next year.

John Holland
10-12-2012, 12:14 AM
As long as you have replaced the barrel on an approved arm with a production approved barrel, and the barrel has the same sights in the same location as the barrel you replaced....you don't need to have the arm reinspected.

Specific barrel finish is not a requirement, although the SAC discourages finishes such as Hot Pink, etc.

Mr. Bly's work is considered to be of the highest caliber by his customers.

JDH
SAC

Brownie 12th U.S.
10-12-2012, 12:56 AM
As long as you have replaced the barrel on an approved arm with a production approved barrel, and the barrel has the same sights in the same location as the barrel you replaced....you don't need to have the arm reinspected.

Specific barrel finish is not a requirement, although the SAC discourages finishes such as Hot Pink, etc.

Mr. Bly's work is considered to be of the highest caliber by his customers.

JDH
SAC
Thank you sir. Mr. Bly's barrel replaces an original Maynard barrel, a new upper if you will, on Mr. Maynard's design. Comparing the original and the replacement, everything sight wise remains where it was. I'll leave the barrel white, hot pink serves no one. Just in case, I'll run it by the SAC to make sure. You guys keep the competition level, and that is important. Thanks again for your hard work.

Lou Lou Lou
10-12-2012, 07:25 AM
A hot pink barrel will make it easier to find your gun while discouraging theft:) Not that it is an issue fo us