PDA

View Full Version : Lee bullet mold #90481

oscarlovel
04-20-2008, 10:16 PM
Has anyone here tried this 500 grain Minie from Lee. I picked up a used mold for a few bucks. How does this compare to the Lyman 575213 or the Rapine? Is this a better choice than the Lee trashcan?

gjkershul
04-21-2008, 09:20 AM
A friend bought one and cast up 300 projectiles he donated to the Idaho Civil War Volunteers for live fire. The ones cast without voids, load well without sizing with a 50/50 beeswax tallow lube and shoot well -3in groups at 100 yds from the bench with a 45 gr. 3f goex charge- in my 1861 not skirmish ready Euroarms Enfield Musketoon.
Do you want to sell the mold? :D

Ken Hansgen, 11094
04-22-2008, 08:41 PM
Oscar, I have one that I use a lot and like. I should caution, 'tho, that the size bullet it says on the box is not necessarily correct. It says .575, and the first one I had cast around that size, but the one I am using now makes them somewhat larger. This is alright with me as I now size to .576, and I had some larger ones that I sized for a shootin' buddy at .578.

The mold has rather small aluminum blocks that heat up fast, but I think the bullet size is quite subject to heat. I am using a Lee top pour lead furnace with an egg-type dipper, and have taken to weighing each bullet with a digital scale--542 +/- 2 grains is what I generally get, altho' a few fall outside this range. I get next to none with voids.

Try it--you may like it too.