PDA

View Full Version : Stop watches

marv762
10-09-2012, 10:07 PM
It does surprise me that a team would show up to a National shoot without a stop watch. Trying to be polite so as not to hurt feelings, but REALLY? It seems the team that had the duty for us just did not have one. The subject also came up that they could not read the one that we had. it was in all seconds. they have a decimal point to show you 10ths of a second. Just venting about dumb things people do.
Marv Jr.

jonk
10-16-2012, 02:16 PM
It isn't dumb to show up without a stop watch; that's just forgetful. What's dumb is... with at least 8 guys on a team and probably more, they had 8 stop watches among them.... just about every cell phone has a built in stop watch accurate to the hundredth of a second, and not one of them realized it. Even if you have your phone on silent or off on the line, in a pinch it would do.

Come to think of it, no one on the other team pointing this out to them is kind of dumb too. ;)

Ken Hansgen, 11094
10-16-2012, 05:28 PM
It's also a dumb idea having a stopwatch that reads only in whole seconds, when team scores are kept to the tenth of a second.

rachbobo
10-16-2012, 06:21 PM
It's also a dumb idea having a stopwatch that reads only in whole seconds, when team scores are kept to the tenth of a second.

From what I heard, back when the N-SSA was first formed, timing was done by a Sun Dial.
But that's just rumor of course.

Bill Cheek
Cockade Rifles

Ron/The Old Reb
10-17-2012, 08:52 AM
There should be a central timing system and eliminate the use of stopwatches. There is to much a chance for human error with a stopwatch. I wonder how many teams lost a medal because someone was slow to push the button when the command to fire was given. Or did not hear "time" when the last target was broken.

RaiderANV
10-17-2012, 09:32 AM
There was a "central timing system" many many many moons ago. It was a plunger at the right side of every position where the position markers are. When the team finished the plunger was pressed. But you had the same thing...people not paying attention, starting to soon, or to late, then the plungers not working here and there then not working at all. Then someone said, "Lets go back to stop watches as that's has the least error in it"

While I'm sure there's a better way,,,,,I'm also sure the membership isn't going to pay an assessment fee for the cost of it when there is so many other issues pending.

Until then,,,,START the watch the second the horn blows and STOP it WHEN the TEAM CAPTAIN CALLS TIME and not when you see the last target hit. Thinking this has cost more medals.

Maillemaker
10-17-2012, 10:57 AM
Yeah, while you could possibly automate the starting of the timer, in the end, it's always going to take a human to at least stop the timer when the team captain says "Time!".

Steve

Michael Bodner
10-17-2012, 12:27 PM
If you don't think timing is important - We tied for 9th place in A-2 Musket. Our total time was EXACTLY the same as the 10th place team. We placed higher 'cause of better 100yd event. If their time was even 0.1 seconds shorter, they would have our medal. Did their timer do the watch perfect? Did ours? Moot point now, but it can make a difference.

-Mike

Ron/The Old Reb
10-18-2012, 08:38 AM
"Yeah, while you could possibly automate the starting of the timer, in the end, it's always going to take a human to at least stop the timer when the team captain says "Time!".

True but the error falls on the team captain or someone on the team and not a second party. And if they lose a medal it's their fault and not someone else.