PDA

View Full Version : New Army revolver question

jonk
10-08-2012, 02:21 PM
I have a Santa Barbara (Spanish) repro of a Remington New Army revolver. It has the fixed post style front sight, but some of our unit members have similar guns with dovetailed front sights.

The gun shoots about 12" high and 6" left. I could build up the sight well enough with no concerns, but I'd really love to get a dovetail sight put in to eliminate the problem. Our company commander and gunsmith says it would be no issue to do the work, but he and a few members of the team are at odds. He doesn't feel that the gun can be so modified and still be legal, while some of the team members say it's not an issue.

What say you all? I'm fairly new to this with just one season under my belt, and don't want to make my revolver illegal for use, but if I can correct the issue I'd like to.

Muley Gil
10-08-2012, 02:34 PM
This is from the N-SSA rules, 14.9.1, page 6:

k. Front sights on revolvers and long arms may be secured to the barrel using a dovetail base in the original position. The attachment of the barrel-sight combination, after the insertion of the dovetail, must conform to the original configuration. The sight must be permanently affixed. There can be no method of adjustment built into the front sight.

http://www.n-ssa.org/NATIONAL/RulesAug2012.pdf

Once you find the correct spot on the barrel for the front sight (windage, left and right), you solder the front sight in place.

John Holland
10-12-2012, 12:18 AM
Thank you, Gil....perfect answer!

I wish everyone would take the time to just read the rules.....

JDH
SAC