PDA

View Full Version : WTB, Parker Hale Musketoon, Powder measure, sizer die,Maynerd brass

Bullseye54
10-04-2012, 02:26 AM
howdy all,
Looking for a well maintained P/H Musketoon and support equiptment.. Also, a Lyman B/P measure, .577 sizer die for a RCBS lubri sizer.. Sharps cartrige box with insert... Also Maynard brass, mould, loading tool... And, plenty of advise!
Thanks
Joe Niezelski, 15th Conn CVI Bullseye54@sbcglobal.net
Musketoon found! still need other items.. Bayonet and scabbard powder measure etc etc

Bullseye54
10-08-2012, 02:09 AM
I could also use a great coat, rain gear and 1or 2 1861 colt 36 cal navy all steel construction and suport equiptment.
thanks for the help

Bullseye54
10-11-2012, 12:44 PM
Still looking for well maintained items

Bullseye54
10-20-2012, 08:24 AM
Stll looking for these items,
Also a good shooting smoothbore would be concidered

Still looking for well maintained items

ms3635v
10-20-2012, 10:02 AM
Hey Joe,

Do you own a Maynard? Is it original or repro, and is it .50 or .36 caliber? Just a few points regarding the Maynard. I shoot an original second model Maynard. I use a .520 diameter bullet sized to .518. The bullet weighs 385 grains. I shoot 35 grains of 3f in full capacity cases with excellent results. Many Maynard shooters in the NSSA use different combinations that work well for them, so having said that, you need to experiment to find the combinations that work well for you. I will say that I originally tried a .515 diameter bullet 27 years ago when I first bought my Maynard. Then after reading about the Maynard and the ammunition used during the war, as well as measuring original bullets in my collection, I discovered that the original bullets ranged in size: .515, .518, .520, .521, .523 and .525 respectively. Bullet weights included: 332 grains, 338 grains, 345 grains, 362 grains, and 444 grains. Wartime powder charges ranged from 26 to 43 grains. (Round Ball to Rimfire, volume II, by Dean S. Thomas, pages 157, 171 and 172). During my experiments, I found that the Rapine .520, 385 grain bullet provided excellent results, and now, the Moose Mould (520400) bullet sized to .518 should produce equally accurate results. I think that in part the reason these bullets work well is that they approximate the size and weight of the bullets used during the war, and they also are a length that stabilizes well. I use SPG lube on my bullets. As for the brass, I use full capacity cases. I pour 35 grains in and seat the bullet by hand. When I load the cartridge into the gun and close the breech, it pushes the front, or top, driving band into the rifling, locking it in the rifling. After I'm done shooting, I throw the cases into white vinegar for about an hour and that dissolves the black powder and grease. Then I rinse the cases in hot water and after they dry, I throw them in my Lyman Turbo tumbler until they are bright and clean - usually about 3 - 4 hours. Because I clean my brass promptly I am still using the brass that I bought 27 years ago, with the exception of a few that I stepped on while shooting. Hope this helps.

Bullseye54
10-20-2012, 06:03 PM
Thanks for the info... I have a Harpers Ferry Maynard 50 cal from the 70's thats never been fired.. I reworked the trigger and broke and polished all working surface edges.. I have to get some brass and give it a try... The sights stink big time.. I will see about a replacement set after I get it grouping well With the correct bullet and charge, it should shoot well .. Maybe I will order a mold from the moose..
Where is the best place to buy some brass and sized bullets before I buy a mold? I've been looking for some used brass but it is always sold when I e-mail them..
Thanks for the for the help... I got all done paying alimoney and child support so I desided to start shooting again.. Glad I did... Thanks Again, Joe

Hey Joe,

Do you own a Maynard? Is it original or repro, and is it .50 or .36 caliber? Just a few points regarding the Maynard. I shoot an original second model Maynard. I use a .520 diameter bullet sized to .518. The bullet weighs 385 grains. I shoot 35 grains of 3f in full capacity cases with excellent results. Many Maynard shooters in the NSSA use different combinations that work well for them, so having said that, you need to experiment to find the combinations that work well for you. I will say that I originally tried a .515 diameter bullet 27 years ago when I first bought my Maynard. Then after reading about the Maynard and the ammunition used during the war, as well as measuring original bullets in my collection, I discovered that the original bullets ranged in size: .515, .518, .520, .521, .523 and .525 respectively. Bullet weights included: 332 grains, 338 grains, 345 grains, 362 grains, and 444 grains. Wartime powder charges ranged from 26 to 43 grains. (Round Ball to Rimfire, volume II, by Dean S. Thomas, pages 157, 171 and 172). During my experiments, I found that the Rapine .520, 385 grain bullet, and now, the Moose Mould 520, 385 grain bullet sized to .518 have been proven performers and I think that in part the reason these bullets work well is that they approximate the size and weight of the bullets used during the war, and they also are a length that stabilizes well. I use SPG lube on my bullets. As for the brass, I use full capacity cases. I pour 35 grains in and seat the bullet by hand. When I load the cartridge into the gun and close the breech, it pushes the front, or top, driving band into the rifling, locking it in the rifling. After I'm done shooting, I throw the cases into white vinegar for about an hour and that dissolves the black powder and grease. Then I rinse the cases in hot water and after they dry, I throw them in my Lyman Turbo tumbler until they are bright and clean - usually about 3 - 4 hours. Because I clean my brass promptly I am still using the brass that I bought 27 years ago, with the exception of a few that I stepped on while shooting. Hope this helps.

RaiderANV
10-20-2012, 06:26 PM
I've been looking for some used brass but it is always sold when I e-mail them.. Maybe if'n ya take those blinders off and at the post above yours you'd find some brass.

ms3635v
10-20-2012, 08:56 PM
Joe,

S&S has quality rear sights. I have an S&S rear sight for my son-in-law's Smith carbine and the quality of that sight is unbelieveable. I believe the S&S replacement rear sight for the Maynard runs about $70 - $75 but is well worth it. If you would like, PM me with your address and I will send you a handful of Moose's bullets and you can give them a try - I just cast about 300 today.

Bullseye54
11-03-2012, 08:04 PM
well I have a never fired P/H Musketoon from the 70's... I don't know if I will be able to pull the trigger for that first shot... Seems a shame to shoot it after all these years... Still need the other items...

scott
11-05-2012, 06:03 PM
Joe, Pat Kelly had some brass for sale a couple of weeks ago. I got 100 rounds.

Scott Tackus
Commander 15CVI

RaiderANV
11-05-2012, 08:25 PM
Yeppers,,,,,,,I have some samples packed for Joe going out tomorrow. I don't know if yours went out in the two dozen boxes today or the big stack for tomorrow Scott. Power was out several days and I'm running a few days behind. =(