PDA

View Full Version : Shiloh Sharps carbine

Bullseye54
09-23-2012, 10:42 AM
Morning all,
Just bought a Shiloh 1863 carbine.. How do you do a complete break down of the carbine.. I've read about the gas checks... All I have is what looks like a stainless pce, bonded to the breech? I say bonded because it doesn't budge, with heat and penatrating oil... Any ideas.. How does the stock come off? Thee forearm came off no problem...
The owner said he shot it once in the 70's and hung it on the wall.. Any Ideas? I get home from work to night it is coming apart one way or the other.... Thanks Joe, 15th Conn CVI

John Holland
09-23-2012, 11:51 AM
To remove the butt stock:

1 - Remove both screws from the upper tang strap.

2 - Remove both lock screws.

3 - Gently remove the lock, so as to not chip the wood around the inletting.

4 - Remove the screw from the frame/receiver, inside the lock cavity, that holds the front part of the saddle bar.

5 - Remove the saddle bar, it will lift straight out.

6 - Remove both screws from the bottom trigger plate.

7 - Gently remove the trigger plate, so as to not chip the wood around the inletting.

(6 & 7 Alternative - Remove only the front screw from the trigger plate, which will permit you to slide the butt stock straight backwards off the receiver, leaving the trigger plate in place.)

8 - The butt stock will now be able to be removed from the frame/receiver.

Breech Block face plate:

Trust me, it is removable! Perhaps it is a bit frozen up from not being properly cleaned and lubricated the last time the carbine was fired. This is going to require patience and lots of penetrating oil, such as Kroil.

If all else fails regarding the face plate, contact Shiloh for advice.

JDH

Bullseye54
09-24-2012, 06:06 AM
Thanks John,
I let the block sit over night in penetrating oil... We will try today to get that plate loose.. Maybe I will send it off to Charlie Hahn or Shiloh... I sent Shiloh an e-mail a week ago when I got the carbine, and have heard nothing from them.. I guess they don't want to be bothered with fixing their old guns just selling new ones....
I plan on refinishing the stock this winter on my Parker Hale and this Sharps... Any recomendations on what finish to use on the wood?
Thanks again for the information.. Joe

To remove the butt stock:

1 - Remove both screws from the upper tang strap.

2 - Remove both lock screws.

3 - Gently remove the lock, so as to not chip the wood around the inletting.

4 - Remove the screw from the frame/receiver, inside the lock cavity, that holds the front part of the saddle bar.

5 - Remove the saddle bar, it will lift straight out.

6 - Remove both screws from the bottom trigger plate.

7 - Gently remove the trigger plate, so as to not chip the wood around the inletting.

(6 & 7 Alternative - Remove only the front screw from the trigger plate, which will permit you to slide the butt stock straight backwards off the receiver, leaving the trigger plate in place.)

8 - The butt stock will now be able to be removed from the frame/receiver.

Breech Block face plate:

Trust me, it is removable! Perhaps it is a bit frozen up from not being properly cleaned and lubricated the last time the carbine was fired. This is going to require patience and lots of penetrating oil, such as Kroil.

If all else fails regarding the face plate, contact Shiloh for advice.

JDH

Charlie Hahn
09-24-2012, 03:46 PM
PM sent

Charlie Hahn
410-208-4736