PDA

View Full Version : Replacing peep sight on Richmond Carbine?

Maillemaker
09-17-2012, 01:16 PM
Hi all,

I have recently purchased a very nice Richmond Carbine with Hoyt barrel.

It has a peep rear sight - an L-shaped leaf that can fold to one of two positions.

I do not care for the peep sight arrangement. Is a "traditional" dovetail or "V-notch" rear sight permissible for N-SSA use? What did the originals have?

It will be easy enough to replace the leaf.

Steve

GPM
09-17-2012, 01:22 PM
You need the standard 1861 type leaf sites which are available from Lodgewood or S&S. The peep site was added by a former NSSA shooter.

Blair
09-17-2012, 01:42 PM
Steve,

Can you provide a photo of the sight (specifically the sight base) you now have on this carbine? A manufacturing date (found on the lock plate and/or top flat of the barrel) may also help.
All you may need to change is the leafs within the sight base.
Just a thought...

Maillemaker
09-17-2012, 02:55 PM
Can you provide a photo of the sight (specifically the sight base) you now have on this carbine? A manufacturing date (found on the lock plate and/or top flat of the barrel) may also help.
All you may need to change is the leafs within the sight base.
Just a thought...

Yes, I can take a picture later, but all I really want to do is replace the leaf, if that is N-SSA legal, to change from a peep-hole arrangement to a v-notch arrangement.

Steve

John Holland
09-17-2012, 03:11 PM
Simple answer: Yes.

A little more indepth: See Section 14.9.1 of the N-SA's Rules. These are available online through a link on the homepage, or click here:

http://www.n-ssa.org/NATIONAL/RulesAug2012.pdf

JDH

Southron Sr.
09-19-2012, 12:35 AM
Just fill the peep hole up with some solder and then use a Jewler's Saw to cut your notch. That is a lot cheaper than buying replacement leaves.

Maillemaker
09-19-2012, 01:03 PM
Just fill the peep hole up with some solder and then use a Jewler's Saw to cut your notch. That is a lot cheaper than buying replacement leaves.

LOL, yup, I could do that, too!

A little more indepth: See Section 14.9.1 of the N-SA's Rules.

Thanks, John!

Steve

Eggman
09-19-2012, 01:55 PM
Southron's suggestion was not a joke.

Maillemaker
09-19-2012, 03:14 PM
Southron's suggestion was not a joke.

I know. I was laughing that I did not think of it.

Steve

Maillemaker
03-27-2013, 12:35 PM
I have converted my peep leaf sights into notched sights. I have it sighted in at 50 and 100 yards. Can't wait to get it to a skirmish!

Steve