PDA

View Full Version : Looking For A New Project

mb3
09-15-2012, 02:43 PM
I would like to hear from anyone who has used any of the Rifle Shoppes kits to build a rifle. I am looking for a project and I am considering buying one of the Rifle Shoppes kits to build a 1816 type Civil War era musket. I am also thinking I might buy an original lock as my starting point and use a combination of Rifle Shoppe parts and original parts. I want a large caliber smooth bore Civil War type rifle. I have built flint lock rifles from semi- custom kits and thought this might be fun. Not sure what direction I am going but, I am in the planning stage and would like some ideas from those who have started similar projects.

Rich Foster
09-15-2012, 03:59 PM
Don,t know if your trying to build a new looking M1816 or what. There is a M1816 springfield on gunbroker.com for $600.00 but it needs a new stock (because the breech part of the stock is toast) if you plan to fire it. But the original hardware is complete but the ramrod is a repop. Buy a new stock from dunlop and maybe a barrel if you plan to fire it. Build it up to new again. Just a option thought. Rich Foster

mb3
09-16-2012, 12:48 PM
Don,t know if your trying to build a new looking M1816 or what. There is a M1816 springfield on gunbroker.com for $600.00 but it needs a new stock (because the breech part of the stock is toast) if you plan to fire it. But the original hardware is complete but the ramrod is a repop. Buy a new stock from dunlop and maybe a barrel if you plan to fire it. Build it up to new again. Just a option thought. Rich Foster
I bid on one once on GB but never met the reserve price. Some of these guys want top dollar for their rifles, and while I am willing to pay, I will only pay what I consider a reasonable price. It is hard to swallow when you see a project gun going for as much if not more than an original. I am not sure which 1816 you are taliking about but I check GB regularly and have not located one for $600. I do recognise it will cost me quite a bit of money to build one but, building will allow me to spread the cost out over time. I build on a monthly budget. I have offered a how to courses on budgeting to Government Officials but so far have had no takers.

mb3
09-16-2012, 01:01 PM
Ok, I found the 1816 for $600. Dosn't look too bad I may ask for some more detailed pics. Thks.

Ron/The Old Reb
09-16-2012, 02:30 PM
Good luck when you call The Rifle Shoppie to order your kit. I have called them at least twenty times in the past month to order some lock parts and they don't answer the phone. It might be quicker to drive to Oklahoma and pick up your order.:mad:

Southron Sr.
09-17-2012, 03:24 AM
I ordered some parts from them and it took them over ONE YEAR to deliver them. I now find I was one of the "Lucky Ones" by getting my order filled on their "Lightening Quick Delivery Service" basis.

IF I were building a M1816 I would buy a "cut down" original to get most of the parts I needed, order a new barrel and using a Dunlop Stock I could put together a really nice repro/original M1816.

I will never order anything again from The Rifle Shoppe.

Instead of dealing with The Rifle Shoppe I would suggest you check with some of our N-SSA Sutlers like Lodgewood Manufacturing, S & S Firearms, Dixie Gun Works, etc., They support the N-SSA by being Sutlers at the Nationals and are our fellow Skirmishers; plus they have an established record for good customer service.

Ron/The Old Reb
09-17-2012, 08:37 AM
Southern Sr.

The only reason I called The Rifle Shoppe is because I want a spare set of lock parts for a 1854 Lorenz Jagerstutzen and they are the only ones that have them. I check all our sutlers first and only S & S had an original mainspring. I would appreciate it if anyone knows where I could get them.

Sorry don't mean to highjack the tread.

mb3
09-26-2012, 07:51 PM
Generally speaking how hard is it to fit an Original 1816 musket lock and barrel into an aftermarket stock? In addition, how hard is to find lock screws and tang screws for an original 1816 musket?

gemmer
09-27-2012, 08:48 AM
Generally speaking how hard is it to fit an Original 1816 musket lock and barrel into an aftermarket stock? In addition, how hard is to find lock screws and tang screws for an original 1816 musket?

If you've built rifles from semi custom kits then you won't have a problem. A Dunlap stock will need final fitting for the barrel, especially around the breech area. Locks differ but should not be much more difficult to fit than on a Track Of The Wolf type kit. But, given that 1816s were virtually hand made with little or no parts interchangeability, one concern may be getting an original lock and barrel to line up properly in a new stock.
By that I mean the alignment of the hammer and nipple as on a Belgian conversion, assuming you're using percussion parts. Flint would be easier to deal with. The touch hole could be plugged and redrilled if it doesn't align with the pan. I have two flint 1816s and the locks and barrels can't be swapped and align properly in the stocks. The locks won't fit in the different mortice and the touch hole locations differ.

S&S should have the correct bolts for the lock and tang.

Duane

kb466
09-27-2012, 11:08 AM
I have used Rifle Shoppe parts and kits and have been quite pleased with them. In my opinion and from what I have seen, their parts are the most accurate for the firearm you are building-- I suppose that is because they are dimensioned from originals. As mentioned, the problem with the Rifle Shoppe is the usual long wait for parts or parts kits. A couple of years ago, I ordered M1795 Springfield Musket kit from them. It took a year and a half to arrive. Then, I ordered a bayonet for it and though they said it would be about 90 days for it-- it arrived in 30 days. Go figure. Still, I will continue to buy their parts as I am quite pleased with them. I just figure on planning my projects out ahead. I am just now starting some work on the M1795 and have already ordered a 1756 Long Land pattern Brown Bess kit from them. I will probably receive it in about a year more wait, but then I won't be ready to start building it till then either. Interesting that when I ordered the 1756 Brown Bess, they told me that they could immediately ship a 1742 Brown Bess kit as they had the parts in stock at that time, but I wanted the 1756 Bess, so I am waiting.

I also have built a M1816 Springfield from original parts, a Whitacre barrel and Dunlap stock. I also used Rifle Shoppe parts for all the flint components and the bands. This went together just fine and if you can find the parts, I would recommend going this route. The original parts fit right in the Dunlap stock. The Whitacre barrel required some fitting, but not too bad. Good luck on your project.
Bill M.

mb3
09-27-2012, 01:20 PM
Thank you for the information. I assumed there would be somechallenges in fitting the lock, stock and barrel. I am trying to locate a lockand barrel that came off the same rifle and hope this helps in thefitting. I have also been looking at twooriginal stocks (they are a little rough but look serviceable) but assume theywould likely be more difficult to fit as they are fit to their original barrel/lock.

mb3
10-06-2012, 08:17 PM
OK, moving forward with my new project I bought my first original musket. I got my M1816 R&JD Johnson dated 1835 today. She is in very nice condition with a solid strong lock. I will get some pictures up soon. I have to get a ram rod and original middle band with swivel but, other than that this thing is solid. She needs to be cleaned up some but is in shootable condition. I am surprised at how nice of a condition she is in given her 177 year old age.