PDA

View Full Version : Question on mortar skirmish eligibility

threepdr
03-04-2009, 02:15 PM
I've taken a fancy to a reproduction British Rev War 12lb Coehorn mortar. Can a I assume this model would be elegible for NSSA based on this clause from the Section 12 of the rule book?

"Actual or full-scale replicas of Civil War mortars may be fired. The term “Civil War” applies to any mortar whose model antedates April 26, 1865."

Also the rules are confusing regarding the requirement for a barrel liner. The tube in questions is solid bronze. Does a solid bronze gun require a steel liner?

Thanks

cannonmn
03-06-2009, 01:53 AM
I'm not trying to play NSSA official or moderator, I'm just adding some info that may prove useful to whomever. Over a year ago I posted photos from the Library of Congress "American Memories" site. One was a very professional sketch of a US Navy officer and sailor looking over a captured Rev War British Coehorn mortar, mounted on a regulation-style US Corhorn mortar bed. This sketch was executed on one of the island forts the Union captured, on the day it was captured (as I recall the sketch was dated.) The mortar had been displayed as a war monument in New Orleans prior to the war. This sketch proves that the Confederates used Revolutionary War British mortars, since they moved the mortar from New Orleans, mounted it, and emplaced it for tactical use, not as a monument. You can probably search and find my posting, I would but dont' have time at the moment.

The British used both 4.5-inch "Coehorns" and 5.5-inch "royal" mortars, for light mortar applications. Your 12-pounder mortar is obviously close in bore size to the British 4.5-inch.

threepdr
03-06-2009, 09:10 AM
canonman,

that indeed is what it is. I used the 12lb nomenclature a bit loosely. I have since found that the tube was cast by Bob Gillmore.

Is there a source for projectiles in this size since it is not a standard 12lber?

Bob also makes a version of the Kings Howitzer which I'm interested in.

cannonmn
03-06-2009, 10:51 AM
I've used candlepin bowling balls with a patch, I think as I recall they can vary in diameter and still be regulation but we've used them for playing around. The balls only weigh a few pounds and thus the consistency of range can vary so they would be no good for competiiton. We did a you-tube video of us firing the balls from an original British 4.5 in. mortar, under my username on YT which is "cannonmn." I think the title is "Tanya shoots the mortar or some such." I have about 60 shooting videos up on YT now.