PDA

View Full Version : a NFG question about bullet lubing

lastchip
09-10-2012, 11:27 PM
I'm certain this is a basic BP 101 question, but I can find no "how to" searching the Internet for what is most likely a very simple process. But, a mystery to a newbie to BP shooting, such as myself ...."How do you properly lube a bullet?".... I'll be shooting a Shiloh Sharps 63 rifle, using christmas tree bullets. I'll be taking a crack at making paper cartages, using Yore shell & tube cartridges and Charlie Huhn Cartridges.

Do you lube the hold bullet, excluding the base or lube only the rings, do you pack the ring full of lube? I see people mention dipping their bullets in lube, as if they melted their lube to a liquid, do they?

Thank Gents
David

Southron Sr.
09-11-2012, 06:46 AM
I use Ladie's Hair Curling Papers to make my Sharps cartridges as they come out of the box the right size.

[1]I roll them around a former stick (a sawed off piece of 1/2" diameter wood dowel purchased from the local building supply store) and glue the paper INTO a tube using stick glue purchased from the local Wal-Mart.

[2] Then slowly withdrawing the forming stick, I push the end of the paper tube over the rebated base of a Sharps bullet cast in a Pedersoli mould-AFTER I HAVE USED STICK GLUE TO PLACE GLUE ON THE REBATED BASE OF THE BULLET.

[3] Then I use my fingers to press down the end of the paper tube on to the bullet base.

[4] I then set the bullet/paper tube combination NOSE DOWN in a plastic reloading block [available from your local gun shop] and I use DENTAL FLOSS to also tie the end of the paper tube to the bullet. BE careful to NOT TO dip the bullet so deep in the melted lube that the paper is contaminated by the lube. After the floss is tied securely in the "groove" of the rebated bullet base, I use a pair of scissors to cut off the loose ends of the string above the knot.

[5] I leave the 50 "cartridges" nose down in the loading block overnight to allow the glue to set.

[6] The next day I dip the bullets, nose first into a melted lube mixture containing 70% real Beeswax and 30% Bore Butter [You can substitute your favorite lube formula here but NEVER, NEVER USE PARAFIN IN YOUR LUBE MIXTURE]. I then place the cartridge back into the loading block NOSE FIRST for several hours so the lube can FULLY HARDEN.

(Note: Real Beeswax is available in the candle section of your local Michael's Craft & Hobby stores.)

[7] Then I use a black powder powder measure to deposit a charge of black powder in the paper tube and close the end of the paper tube and "Presto" my cartridge is complete!

THE REASON I ATTACH THE BULLET TO THE PAPER TUBE BY BOTH GLUE AND DENTAL FLOSS STRING IS BECAUSE THAT MAKES AN EXTREMELY STRONG BOND BETWEEN THE PAPER TUBE AND THE BULLET. I HAVE NEVER HAD A BULLET TO COME LOOSE FROM THE PAPER TUBE!

Ladies Hair Curler Papers - I purchased a pack of 10,000 for $8.00 that was on sale at a Beauty Supply Shop in a local shopping center years ago. I still have an ample supply of those papers. That is a lot better than paying $40.00 for a pack of ONLY ONE HUNDRED Sharps Nitrated cartridge papers that a well known retailer is charging for a pack of Sharps paper tubes!!!!

I also avoid using the "Double Wide" Cigarette papers because of all the federal excise taxes built in to the cost of the papers.

lastchip
09-13-2012, 11:19 PM
Thank you Southern Sr. for the in depth description of your method of making cartridges, very informative. Question; are your cartridges of the tail type, having the knife edge of the block cut the tails off or do you flatten your cartridge ends and just let the flame of the cap blast though the curler paper?

David

Southron Sr.
09-16-2012, 11:33 AM
Tests conducted by the U.S. Army indicated that the Sharps Cartridges with the tails folded down were the most accurate.

The Hahn cartridges are much faster to load and shoot fine. The only "Down" side is that my team mate uses them in his Sharps and one day the wind was just right on the firing line at a Skirmish.

I was deluged with "Hahn Confetti" during every Event!!!

John Holland
09-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Southron, I think you're on to something here....a new word for our lexicon....Hahn-fetti! :D

norman horne, 12321
09-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Hey Southron. Did them there U.S. "Ahmy" tests include the Hahn tubes? If so, danged if ole Charlie ain't holding up pretty darn good(150+ years)!!