PDA

View Full Version : Attention: 1st Model Maynard Owners Reunion

Bruce Cobb 1723V
09-04-2012, 02:03 PM
We are looking at having a show and tell at the Ruritan Pavilion, an evening, at the Fall Nationals. We did this many years ago and got a great turn out. If you will be there, send me a pm along with your maynards serial number and we will talk about them there. Wouldn't be surprised to see as many as 30 there, The most in one place since 1865? Let me know what you think All types of 1st Model Maynards invited. Bring your camera!

RaiderANV
09-05-2012, 11:31 AM
I'll be there.

Eggman
09-05-2012, 11:53 PM
How about us Second Model guys??? First we had to sit at the back of the bus, and now we can't come to the party.

hwaugh
09-06-2012, 07:46 AM
Bruce, It has been a number of years since we had the Model 1's out and displayed. I'm thinking almost a dozen plus years. It seemed that Larry Romano had just begun building his reproduction Model 1 and shooters were just beginning to see what some of us old timers had figured out by shooting the Model 1. We had a number of shooters from the 34th Va. Cav., Terry's Tex. Rangers and other teams sporting 3 plus original Model 1's per team. Men like Andrew Addoms, John Holland, you and myself were elated to "show and tell" about these guns. But none of this would have been possible without the "Founding Father" of N-SSA Model 1 shooting, Joe Davenport. Here is the man who brought to light the real potential of this carbine and was at the forefront of getting the SAC to approve the use of this carbine with its many variations. Joe has been more than just a leader in this field but a true gentleman in every sense of the word. Joe sold me my first Model 1 back in 1988 or 89, not quite sure on the year. But with the sale came hours of nurturing and advice both in person and over the phone and I was only one of many shooters that Joe helped. Joe is the most knowledgeable man in this world on the Model 1 Maynard carbine. He has gathered a lifetime of facts and history that would blow you over. If we are able to generate enough interest is there any way we could have Joe there too. Maybe even get Joe to lead a discussion on the Maynard would be a true honor for many of us. I know we will have four or five original Model 1's from Terry's Tex. Rangers there. Looking forward to the event.

Harry Waugh - 3731 - Terry's Texas Rangers

Bruce Cobb 1723V
09-06-2012, 09:26 AM
What a great idea. I agree Harry. Joe is like the Dalai Lama of Maynards. More than once he has identified perplexing items I will be bringing to the Nationals.

RaiderANV
09-06-2012, 07:10 PM
The "Dalai Lama" (Joe) says he regrets he'll not be able to attend but wishes ALL Maynard addicts a great time at the Nationals. There ya go Eggs,,,,, even ya'll First Model challenged types were included in Joe's well wishes!!

Eggman
09-06-2012, 07:36 PM
Well it wont be the first party I've crashed. I managed to get included in the 3rd Georgia wives club photo one year. Another time I manged to get included, while attired in full Confederate uniform, in the family photo of a large black family reunion being held at the Brierfield Ironworks simultanious with one of the Deep South skirmishes. Not as wierd as it sounds, I have two great uncles that were African Americans (Boers).

hwaugh
09-06-2012, 09:05 PM
Eggman, come on along and bring your Model 2 Maynard...Maynards in any form Model 1, Model 2, Model 73, Model 82 and any of the multitude of variations in between are worthy of study and appreciation. Dr. Maynard was a true engineering genius when it came to building guns.

Harry

Eddie Bruner, 12222
09-06-2012, 10:18 PM
Bruce, be sure to post what day and time and I'll bring 5 or 6 to show.

-Eddie

Bruce Cobb 1723V
09-06-2012, 10:57 PM
Joe will be missed. I didn't want to say anything to him until it was a done deal. The plan so far is Saturday 8 pm., one day after the Irish Jam. I don't want to cause any turmoil here, but I admire Mcfarland more than the good Dr. He manufactured them and so much simpler later too.

norman horne, 12321
09-07-2012, 06:20 AM
Primary subject matter for this here Maynard Re-union: "How to Beat Them Danged Ole Sharps"!

Bruce Cobb 1723V
09-07-2012, 10:50 AM
Norm, The reunion is for historic reasons only. We want to see how many we have preserved of these old veterans and how we have lovingly restored them to keep them alive. You won't find this anywhere else but in the N-SSA. Yes, I will be taking names and checking serial numbers for research. ..... Whats a Sharps anyway? I don't speak Sharps. I do speak beer.

John Holland
09-07-2012, 11:23 AM
Don't be surprised if you find people reluctant to share their names and the serial numbers of their arms!

JDH

norman horne, 12321
09-07-2012, 01:37 PM
Hi Bruce. Just a little humor, directed mainly at Egg and Pat. But if it has to be history related, you could title the subject: "How Is It That the Sharps HISTORICALLY Beats, Out-performs, Out-shoots, Out-lasts(and any other Outs) the Maynards"?

Bruce Cobb 1723V
09-07-2012, 05:37 PM
Names are not important, if they don't want to have it recorded so be it, but to find the model laying next to you is 1 digit off from your own would be priceless in my book. Wouldn't it be terrific to find a mismatched barrel / receivered gun and to find that the matching barrel is laying there on someone elses gun. Again priceless and exciting.

RaiderANV
09-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Don't be surprised if you find people reluctant to share their names and the serial numbers of their arms!

JDH

How true this is. I recorded Maynard numbers for over 20 years. I had located a wee tad over 900 First Models & 6100 Second Models. I wrote a description of the guns finish, bluing, cases colors, wood, bore, overall condition, owners name and if sold or for sale the price. I intent was to feed my errrrrr,,,,,,, "small" Maynard addiction. You'd be surprised how many I fond overseas!!

An unintended issue presented itself at the Baltimore gunshow 6-7 years ago. While recording numbers I ran across two MINTY Second Models that were as nice as two I have. Now there are quite a few 90-95% Maynards out there but I'd say its rare much over that. These two were 99.9%. Looking over the guys shoulder drooling over them and about to buy both I got the info I always collect and off I was. I headed back to work at Lodgewoods tables fixing guns and grabbed my book with all my data up to date and looked them up. Imagine my surprise to find not one but BOTH serial number already in my book! And dang the luck they were STILL owned by the same guy who was trying to sell them. Funny thang is the last time I'd laid eyes on them was 4 years earlier at the Richmond show and they were mint wood, bore and everything else had faded to a steely gray color. I mean the metal was mint just all the finish was gone. Heck,,,,I had to run back over and check the numbers again. It was about then the seller purdy much figured out who I was and told the guy still interested he'd have to further view the guns later? Yup..... I spoke up. Asked him where he got them, how long he'd had them and the whole nine yards. Told the buyer the story and he left before the period got place at the end of the sentence. Seller put them back in gun cases and under the table I told me to get lost. Yup.....I had to laugh. These Maynard had the nicest finish jobs I believe I'd ever seen on them. If I'd have been able to hold them I might have been able to tell but not from 3 feet away. I put an asterisk beside ALL who DON'T want their info shared. The guy did say I had written them down wrong while his buyer was standing there. I that's just not possible. To make sure I write it down forwards then looks again & write it backwards. Sounds lame but you'll never make a mistake this way. Has to do with the way the brain works. OK,,,,,,,trying to figure out how to explains brains to Sharps shooters :rolleyes: <grin>

PS,,,,,,me thinks Eggs and me will have to schedule and kidnapping and sharps sickness intervention fer ol' Norm. Where shall we take him Eggs?!?!?

norman horne, 12321
09-11-2012, 07:25 AM
I have it. How 'bout to the aforementioned re-union. I would not mind playing around with some of your "tinker-toys" Maynards!

Eggman
09-11-2012, 11:03 AM
Will Norm need some kind of special pass to come down there?

RaiderANV
09-11-2012, 01:07 PM
Will Norm need some kind of special pass to come down there?

Well,,,,,,, he'll need to have a sponsor, a letter from three close friends vouching for his good nature, a willingness to see the light (and not the one at the end of his tunnel for that is a train coming) & realize Maynards are the only true carbine and remember even though he was kicked off the board for standing up for his carbine GOD is still watching!!

Eggs,,,,,,ya wanta be the sponsor and will we have to change it from three to one letter knowing it'll be tuff on his wallet paying for the letters?

Eggman
09-11-2012, 06:33 PM
I think Norm is going to have trouble finding three endorsers that can read and write. The only Iredell Blues you see on this forum are Kmdr. Kowdoc and the high school kid - Dust Bin, and both of them are Maynard men. Oh yeah and there is Killer Kris but I don't think he has a carbine.

RaiderANV
09-12-2012, 01:43 AM
I think Norm is going to have trouble finding three endorsers........

Well Norm,,,,,,, I guess you'll have ta wade across the crick and sneak in the back of the pavilion

norman horne, 12321
09-12-2012, 06:35 AM
Appreciate the kind thoughts on my wallet Pat; it is getting kinda thin with the price of gas these days. Reckon if the Blues built a foot bridge acroos the creek from our campsite to the range we could charge a toll? A caveat would be that we could charge y'all Maynard shooters triple and you would not realize the difference!

RaiderANV
09-12-2012, 11:33 AM
Reckon if the Blues built a foot bridge acroos the creek from our campsite to the range we could charge a toll? A caveat would be that we could charge y'all Maynard shooters triple and you would not realize the difference!

Eggs,,,,,will the sharps crowd ever learn?!??! Norm,,,,, whilst carrying Maynards we just walks on across the water. Ya'll sharps shooters have ta wait til winter.

Eggman
09-12-2012, 01:26 PM
PJ --- I got to ask, how do you get your Rebel flag avatar to move like that? Can you possibly get my bunny to hop up and down? I've tried bouncing the computer up and down, but it's just not the same thing.

norman horne, 12321
09-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Hey Pat. Don't forget what happened to Brother Peter; and I'm pretty sure he was using a Maynard for a staff!

RaiderANV
09-12-2012, 05:21 PM
Nope,,,,, I have it of "good" authority that it was a starr carbine. Peter should have known better. I mean even Judis opted for the 40 pieces of silver instead of a starr and a few 100 rounds.

Eggs,,,try rubb'n ah lil' turpentine on the bunny butt and see if'n it'll hop? There use to be many Reb flags avatars but they seem to be disappearing from the upload site due to complaints. Go figure. A good many other sites have removed this as my avatar from complaints also. What's ah Reb ta do

Bruce Cobb 1723V
09-30-2012, 10:24 PM
Just a reminder, it's open to all. Bruce

RangerFrog
10-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Many thanks to Bruce and all who were involved in the Maynard Gathering. It was truly a joy to see all of that historical steel and wood in one place and be able to chat with fellow Maynard lovers of all stripes. I especially enjoyed getting to talk again face to face with my long distance friend John Holland as well as to see the upcoming book by Leo Remiger (thanks again, John Bly) and just breathe in that Maynard-scented air. For those who missed it, you can't even imagine how cool it really was. Let's do it again real soon!

Regards,
Froggie

John Holland
10-11-2012, 10:20 PM
A very big thanks to Bruce Cobb for orchestrating the gathering of Model 1 Maynards, and to the Ruritans for permitting us to use their pavilion. It was certainly a sight to behold! Everyone there was a Maynard enthusiast and some great information was freely shared. Charlie, I'm sorry I didn't recognoize you at first without your oversized Stetson. My contribution was "The Model 1 requiring the most restoration"! Lastly, but not in the least, was the hilarious ongoing dialogue between Bill and Andrew Adams!

JDH