PDA

View Full Version : Parker Hale rework, help

Bullseye54
09-04-2012, 09:37 AM
Howdy All,
I have a 2 band Parker Hale Enfield looks like new... I would like for someone to rework it to compete in N-SSA matches... Does anyone know what should be done to set it up?? Also who would would you reccomend to do the work?...
Any recomendations on bullet and loads? Sights?? I'm a green horn when it comes to competing with black powder and only have what I learned from my Dad 40 years age and should have paid a bit more attention to the details...
Joe Niezelski, soon to be 15 CVI

Jim_Burgess_2078V
09-04-2012, 12:50 PM
Joe,
Although I shoot a Springfield in competition I have 2-band Parker Hale which I'm saving as a back-up. It shoots a very nice group at 50 yards using the Lyman 575213 New style Minie (unsized) and 40.0 grains Goex FFFg. It is a very pleasant load and it shoots to point of aim. I didn't have to mess with the sights. Every gun is different so your mileage may vary. The important thing is to first find a load that groups well and for that you will need a bullet of dead soft lead that is no more than .002" under bore size. Then experiment with different loads until you find the one that gives optimum accuracy with your bullet of choice. Don't mess with the sights until you have found the right load.

The guys on the 15th will be happy to help you and perhaps give you different bullets you can test in your rifle. I'll be at the 15th's Glastonbury Skirmish this coming weekend so hope to see you there. Welcome to the 15th CVI!

Jim Burgess
15th CVI

Blair
09-04-2012, 01:14 PM
Joe,

Basically the Parker-Hale does not need any "re work" for use within the N-SSA.

You may, find, after shooting it (as has been suggested) that you may need to make adjustments to the sights to get it to shot to the point of aim.
Within the N-SSA, this is allowed in most cases. However, no one can tell you what type of re-work might sereve you best until you know where the arm is shooting.

Work with the members of your soon to be team. That is the best suggestion I can offer you at this time.
Blair

Bullseye54
09-16-2012, 08:47 AM
Morn'in all,
I checked the bore of the P/H with a plug gage, .579 goes and a .580 no... What type of bullet should I use and where can I purchase some to try them out before buying a mould? Does moose moulds or any manufacturer sell samples of their bullets before buying a mould?
I have RCBS bullet sizer but no sizer dies.. Where can I purchase lube/sizer dies? I have seen none advertised for the RCBS this large...
I would like to buy a quality mould but not 6 of them to find the right one.. Thanks, Joe

John Holland
09-16-2012, 10:32 AM
Since you are soon to be a member of the 15th CVI, I should think your sponsor, or future team mates, could supply you with a wide assortment of projectile types to try, along with many years of experience in loads, lube, etc.

JDH

Rich Foster
09-16-2012, 10:45 AM
Joe, I don't think I have ever seen a New or old style minnieball that would not work in a Parker Hale with the right powder charge. New style minnie Jim has it right about 40-42 grains of fffg and old Style minnie 47-48 grns. fffg. Now that said we can mention Wadcutter minnies. Light bullets, small charges, little recoil and good 50 yd shooting but on a windy day 100yds suffers. I prefer a minnieball because with the cost of skirmishing I don't want to have a day where the wind is going to affect my shooting. So I will take a little more recoil so I won't have any questions how my gun is going to perform. Now if your looking for a new mould Moosemoulds or Mike Osiak is going to your best bet on a .580 mould to sized down. You might be able to find a used Rapine mould if you ask around. Find out what your teammates can give you to try and try them. But ask yourself with info above what is going to be your preference is going to be. In no way do I put down a wadcutter I shot it for many years until I tried the International Minnie that Rapine made. Rich Foster, Dismal Swamp Rangers

Bullseye54
09-16-2012, 11:07 AM
Thanks Rich,
Thats a good starting point.. We will be able to fine tune when the 15th gets together... I would like to at least be able to hit the paper before our 1st shoot, well at least the barn ...
Thanks again.. Joe