PDA

View Full Version : Carbine purchase question

dimas
03-03-2009, 04:59 PM
I am wanting to buy an original for a nice shooter. Like to pick up a maynard, smith or even a burnside. Was wondering what the possiblity of finding one of them for a shooter for about 1,000.00 would be. I'm thinking to closest chance is a burnside though. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
03-03-2009, 05:42 PM
I'd stay away from the Burnside for a competitive piece. They are an interesting carbine and a masterwork of machining for it's time and was an OK shooter for it's time and what it was used for but punching paper and busting clays is asking a bit more than it will handle. The brass price and longevity will hurt big time. Best to stick with the Smith, Maynard, Gallager or Sharps. They are easier to feed and are more accurate shooters for competition, although buying brass for them can get pricey although the cheaper plastic tubes are available for Maynard and Smith and hold up pretty well. My best advice is to find out what the medal winners are shooting. I believe you'll find it was one of the four types I mentioned. In truth you'll probably find that the Maynard and Smith are the top two types used.

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

Mike McDaniel
03-04-2009, 11:29 AM
An original for $1K is pretty well out of the question. You're talking $1500 at minimum, unless you get very, very lucky.