PDA

View Full Version : Starr carbine

narrowboater
09-02-2012, 05:12 PM
hello
I'm in the process of puchasing a Starr carbine serial number 12232 its marked 1 A R K F as supposedly belonging to the Union 1st Arkansas cavalry company F, having read Flaydermans catalogue informing that some of these carbines were faked with these initials to sell at a higher premium, can anybody please clarify if this serial number was issued to them if not, whose regiment was it issued to
thank you David narrowboater

Two Flints
09-02-2012, 07:27 PM
I checked on your Starr Carbine in volume 2 of my SRS books, and there are quite a few Starr Carbines issued to the 1st Arkansas Volunteer Cavalry. There are too many serial #s to list. However, in volume 4 of the SRS series, I found a Starr serial # 12233 issued to the 9th Pennsylvania Volunteer Cavalry, and a Starr serial # 12234 issued to 13th Missouri Volunteer Cavalry. The latter two serial #s obviously are very close to your Star serial #12232.

Confusing to say the least! No order or system to issuing weapons to troops during the Civil War.

Two Flints
Moderator, Spencer Shooting Society

narrowboater
09-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Hello again Two Flints
well thank you any way so there's nothing to disprove its authenticity, and nothing to prove it either, it certainly appears to be in nice condition from the photos I've received so far any way, so unless i hear anything else to the controversy I'II carry on with the purchase, thank you
REGARDS DAVID (NARROWBOATER)