PDA

View Full Version : sharps carbine

narrowboater
08-31-2012, 01:55 PM
Hello to you all, I've just joined and I'm hoping for some help with my first enquiry, finding out which Cavalry regiment my Sharps Carbine may have been issued to, its serial number is 44539 dated 1862 its a new (joke) model 1859 having a metallic cartridge conversion, after this one I'II be asking for help on a few more, thanks a lot David (narrowboater)

ms3635v
09-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Just finished checking "Civil War Sharps Carbines and Rifles," by Earl J. Coates and John D. McAuley and could not find your serial number listed in the book.

narrowboater
09-02-2012, 04:30 PM
thanks ever so much, a bit disappointed to say the least, so do you think it was likely it would have been kept in reverse at the arsenal until its recall for its conversion to metallic cartridge

ms3635v
09-03-2012, 09:24 AM
Narrowboater,

A further check of the book has the following information (page 43). "In the early months of the war it appears that the Nay had purchased a small quantity of of Sharps carbines. A major characteristic of these NM1859 Sharps carbines is that they were not equipped wiith a saddle bar and ring on the left frame of the receivers. The receivers found on these carbines are serial numbered between 40,000 and 44,000. The amount and where they were from is not known. A post-war correspondence between Capt. William R. Shoemaker, commanding officer at Fort Union Arsenal, and the old Army Ordnance Department gives us a clue to how many there were. On January 17, 1871, Shoemaker said he had on hand 190 of the 50/70 converted Sharps carbines equipped without saddle ring and bar which made them unsuited for cavalry use." I'll let you know if I find any other information that will help you.

narrowboater
09-03-2012, 11:12 AM
Hello Mike,
that's fantastic news thank you, but as they say the plot thickens !!!! mine is fitted with a saddle bar and ring, are there any other marking that may be of help to you, I cant even begin to thank you enough for the help you are giving me
regards David (narrowboater)