PDA

View Full Version : Bought a Henry

civilwarlife
08-22-2012, 11:01 AM
Just ordered a 44-40 Henry iron frame. It is used but in excellent condition. I just ordered brass, mold and all the loading dies etc. Was wondering if any of you can offer me a starting powder charge. Was planning on using GoEX 3F since I have some of that. Need to know how many grains and if there is a better powder choice when I shop for next batch of powder.

Thanks

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
08-22-2012, 11:59 AM
Here are my notes: http://acwsa.org/images/MiscImages/44-40%20Groups.jpg

BobbyHannula8450v
08-22-2012, 06:44 PM
I shoot 20 grains 3f goex with 10 grains of cream of wheat as a filler. The bullet is .429 diameter 240 grains lubed with alox. I know several people that shoot 25 grains 3f goex with no filler. I tried the cartridge grade and did not see a difference in point of impact. This combination works well in my gun. I see that you are in Fredericksburg. I live in Warrenton and am willing to help you get set up if you want help.

Bobby Hannula
First Valley Rangers
CV Region Commander

xring2245
08-25-2012, 03:47 AM
Just ordered a 44-40 Henry iron frame. It is used but in excellent condition. I just ordered brass, mold and all the loading dies etc. Was wondering if any of you can offer me a starting powder charge. Was planning on using GoEX 3F since I have some of that. Need to know how many grains and if there is a better powder choice when I shop for next batch of powder.

Thanks

I have an iron-framed Henry too and it is very accurate. You need to shoot a .429" bullet unless slugging the bore tells you otherwise. The bullet must be cast of a soft alloy; you do not want a hard alloyed bullet as it will probably not shoot very accurately. I use reclaimed range lead for Henry bullets and it works very well. I had cast a harder alloy, but could not get the accuracy I had wanted. Softer bullets seems to work better with black powder.

I currently load 30gr. of 3F Scheutzen. I have used GOEX in the past, but it dirties up the bore pretty badly. 30gr. of Scheutzen 3F with a soft .429" bullet, Starline case, and Federal 150 primer works extremely well for me. I plan on trying Swiss powder and see what that does. I have heard shooters say that it is much cleaner burning than GOEX and a little cleaner than Scheutzen. I will know for sure very shortly.

Test for grouping off the bench on a solid rest and then make your sight adjustments after shooting from the shoulder. There will be a difference in bullet impact between the two.

Good luck. Have some fun.

civilwarlife
08-31-2012, 11:44 AM
Got the rifle. Looking down the bore, the rifling seem rather shallow. Is it supposed to be? Plan to start loading next week when my mold, dies and cases arrive from Midway.

Ron/The Old Reb
09-01-2012, 07:52 AM
When you start to reloading the 44/40's be sure that you use pistol primers and that they are seated below the rim.

pastore
09-01-2012, 08:22 AM
[QUOTE=civilwarlife;24916]Got the rifle. Looking down the bore, the rifling seem rather shallow. Is it supposed to be?

All of the Henrys have shallow rifling.

Rlevin
09-13-2012, 06:51 AM
I use 30 gr 2F Swiss and it shoots great. I tried GOEX but it is really dirty when compared to Swiss. The reason I shoot 2F is that some of the folks told me 3F was too hot and would damage the bore, but there are many folks using 3F GOEX. I use the RCBS bulet mold as it seems to group better than the others I have tried. I size and lube. Make certain that your barrel is long enough. A friend bought a Henry and found that it was a shorter barrel model that could not be used for NSSA.