PDA

View Full Version : Consumer Report tests Olive Oil. What' in yer LUBE?

RaiderANV
08-20-2012, 11:44 AM
http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/olive-oil-taste-test.html

I (http://shopping.yahoo.com/news/olive-oil-taste-test.html) use Costco so I'm good. :cool:

John Holland
08-20-2012, 12:48 PM
Olive oil belongs in Olives....and Olives belong in Martinis!

JDH

Maillemaker
08-20-2012, 01:09 PM
And martinis belong in everyone!

Steve

Tom Magno, 9269V
08-20-2012, 01:15 PM
"Everybody's got to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer"

WC Fields

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
08-20-2012, 02:42 PM
If Olive Oyl is good enough for Popeye, its good enough for me !!

RaiderANV
08-20-2012, 03:33 PM
So if I have this correct........ Martini's, beer & Olive Oyl to lube yer balls = Happy Skirmisher?!?!? What if'n ya don't drink?

John Holland
08-20-2012, 03:54 PM
Then.....you can supply liberal amounts of adult beverages to your friends!

Michael Bodner
08-20-2012, 09:36 PM
"What if'n ya don't drink? "

I'm sorry.... I can't understand your question........

-M

le piaf
08-21-2012, 03:40 AM
I used a variation of Emmert's recipe with 70% crisco ( or equivalent in European product), 20% baywax and 10% of Olive oil (more in winter , less in summer) .
Top quality (virgin , first press , aso )is not necessary.
This recipe is well known and give satisfaction lubricating bullet ,or cylnder axe of revolver ( in revolver , rotation of cylinder is OK even after 36 shots).
The first test is to dip(and stay some hours) a dirty cylinder in a cup of different oil ., When you put the cylinder out, in the olive oil cup you can see more fouling and dirty things than in the other oils. Why ? I don't know.

Ron/The Old Reb
08-21-2012, 08:22 AM
OMG It must be January and cabin fever has set in.

Something I always wondered about. How do you get an extra virgin and what is it ?http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/images/smilies/icon_neutral.gif

Maillemaker
08-21-2012, 08:30 AM
Top quality (virgin , first press , aso )is not necessary.

Psssh! Of course it is if you want the tastiest bullet lube!

Steve

le piaf
08-21-2012, 12:28 PM
There are several levels of quality in olive oil
"Extra virgin"(first press by cold way)
with acidity under 0.8%( i.e. oleic acid under 8g for 100g) ....... expensive used only by women in the kitchen
"virgin ", always by cold way press with an acidity under 2%
and ordinary olive oil produced by hot press(industrial process) , available for cheaper price in supermarket , this type is excellent for our use .

Muley Gil
08-21-2012, 07:12 PM
My old buddy, Petey Patrone from the Washington Blue Rifles, always said that he added a little garlic powder to his lube, to give it a bit of flavor. :D

Ron/The Old Reb
08-22-2012, 08:22 AM
I think I will be using the extra virgin. My Richmond deserves only the best.:rolleyes:

le piaf
08-22-2012, 11:58 AM
I would like extra virgin for my guns too but unfortunatly , I have a T rex in the kitchen:D

Blair
08-22-2012, 04:46 PM
I gave a Chemist friend of mine (being that he too was a shooter), one of the common sticks of bullet lube used in BP shooting.
This Chemist friend did an analysis of the composition of this lube.
He came up with bees wax and some sort of vegetable oil mix. He felt the veggie oil was most likely "cotton seed oil". But, he believed any high temp veggie cooking oil would work equally as well.
Go figure?
It was little different from the lube I had been using. (bees wax and Crisco) And my mix was a lot cheaper to make up myself.
Best suggestion I can make... is use what works best for you and your type of shooting!

Maillemaker
08-22-2012, 04:58 PM
I use the traditional beeswax + crisco recipie taught to me by you N-SSA guys. I added a little vegetable oil to it to make it a little smoother.

I was going for the consistency of the "Len's Lube" that my team commander gave me when I started out.

Steve