PDA

View Full Version : Starship Smoothbore

efritz
08-14-2012, 02:26 PM
Continuing with the voyages of the Starship Smoothbore. Stardate 8-12-12. Mission on the planet Holmesburg Fish and Game. Inhabited by like creatures. Weapontry far more advanced than ours. Weapons that reload automatically and one even with a laser. One can only imagine the advanced technology. Inhabitants are a friendly sort. They seem to stop and ooh and aah at the sight of a smoothbore musket. I can only humph at the sight of theirs. Too many projectiles in the atmosphere at one time.

Anyhow, thanks to all who posted on the 8 pages of the smoothbore theory and especially Bob Elka and H.P. Heeding their advice, I purchased a .672 mould from Jeff Tanner. Now Jeffs' moulds are notorious for not being round and so true for this one. It runs .672 - .675. But it's all I have at the moment. Since I didn't have two wood rasps to run the ball between, the next best thing was my garage concrete floor. Roughed up the balls between the floor and a 2"x4". Did a fair job. Rolled in Alox one time. Loaded 10 rounds each in 45, 50, 55, 60 grs. 2F Swiss and 10 rounds 60 grs. dipped in my lube that I use in my musket, carbine and Ballard. Went to the planet Holmesburg and benched all. Results ----- 45 and 50 grs. produced 11"-12" groups. 55 grs. produced an 8" group and 60 grs. produced a 6" group. The 10 rounds with my lube ---- I fired 6 rounds, 5 on the paper and quit. It was a waste of time to proceed any further. It amazed me to see the dramatic difference just because of lube. From an 8" group to one where I can't hit the 100 yd. N-SSA target. Loading was easier with the small ball too. My H&P has a .687 Hoyt barrel. I was using a .678 Lyman RB. Not roughing the ball and rolled in Alox, it's very good at 25 yds but the accuracy drops out the bottom at 50 yds. and after about 6-7 shots loading became hard. I'm not satisfied with the 6" group and will continue to experiment. There's other manufacturers of powder, different grains of powder and different amounts of powder to try. But I'm headed in the right direction. Stay tuned for the voyages of the Starship Smoothbore.

Kirk out.

jerry ashley
08-14-2012, 03:38 PM
Me thinks the Clingons are messing with your nipple. Have some blackberry and relax.

Ron/The Old Reb
08-15-2012, 08:28 AM
Now you know why they invented the Minnie Ball.

snapcap14
08-18-2012, 09:22 AM
"Now Jeffs' moulds are notorious for not being round and so true for this one."
Now thats sthe first time I ever heard anyone complain about Jeffs molds! of the guys I know that use them no one has a complant. And I sure don't

Southron Sr.
08-19-2012, 09:24 PM
I ordered a .464 RB mould from him. It throws .457 balls.

efritz
08-20-2012, 10:25 AM
I didn't mean to knock Jeff, but I guess I did. I have had or have 6 moulds from Jeff. The first two I ever bought I sent back because I just couldn't get the exact size I wanted. Finally settled for the the third. It worked for the gun I was using at the time. Bought one for my pistol. Still use that one. Bought another from a fellow skirmisher to modify unsuccessfully but it wasn't round either. Now using one for the smoothbore I'm working with and it isn't round but seems to be working. I'm getting close. Maybe round isn't so important?????? I don't know. Until now with Moose Moulds, Jeff was the only game in town to get a RB mould of ANY size you wanted. I believe Moose will make you one. Have to ask. I don't know of any other person making custom RB moulds. Jeff has always been and still is great to work with. Very understanding and accomodating.

John Bly
08-21-2012, 09:28 AM
Bob Elka makes custom round ball moulds. He'll do any diameter you want and it will be round. I think his contact info is in the long thread on smoothbore shooting. Check it out.

John Holland
08-21-2012, 09:49 AM
"kowdok" posted this 2 weeks ago: "...Bobby Elka has told me he no longer has the time to turn his molds out...."

JDH

efritz
08-29-2012, 08:50 PM
Stardate 8-27-12. Back to the planet Holmesburg. No inhabitants to be found. Proceeded to explore test firing of smoothbore.

Since ending with my best group covering approx. 5.5" x 4" on the previous stardate, I began this session again using the H&P with a .687 barrel, .672 405 gr. ruffed RB on my concrete floor, lubed with Alox 1x, with the following results.

65 gr. 2 F Swiss 7" x 7.5" group.
70 gr. 6" x 7"

60 gr. 3F GOEX 4.5" x 7"
65 gr. 5.5" x6"
70 gr. 4" x 7.5"

My expectations were that the group would get tighter continuing with increasing the powder charge. But it didn't.

Further exploration to continue.

Kirk out