PDA

View Full Version : Maynard vs. Forearmless Daisy

Eggman
08-10-2012, 11:28 AM
A couple of minor issues still are afloat n the Maynard vs. Sharps discussion. I believe many Sharps owners out there who have difficulty getting their Sharps to fire reliably, perhaps even occasionally, have wondered at Norm's success. A bit of clarification about Norm might help. I asked Norm what he does for a living one time. To approximate what he said, it was "I overhaul the megagerfluter control mechanism on the Materhornnebbelwerfermachosynthesizer." So to Norm, getting a gun with a sliding cylinder in the bore, a flapping plate in the breech, a powder chamber large enough for a family of field mice, and a flash channel as crooked a a West Virginia country road to shoot reliably is nothing. Plus he has a ready supply of bear fat. Norm reminds me of Hungry Joe, you know that guy that was constantly trying to fix the stove in Yosarian's tent in "Catch 22." The stove parts were so small Yosarian could not even see them, so of course eventually after watching Hungry Joe work on the stove for hours on end Yosarian tried to strangle him.
Anyway, Norm says he doesn't like the Maynard because it reminds him of those forearmless Daisys only the poor kids got when he was a kid. Actually they were made for kids of reduced stature, and as some of us get older we're moving in that same direction.

Ron/The Old Reb
08-10-2012, 01:35 PM
Eggman you never cease to amaze me. I was one of those poor kids with a forarmless Daisy. We were so poor I had to collect empty soda bottles and get the two cents deposit back to buy it. Like to see the kids do that today.
Aaaaaaa! the good old days.

John Holland
08-10-2012, 01:54 PM
I remember the first time I ever saw a Model 1 Maynard for sale. It way back in the middle of the last century when very few people knew about their association with the Confederacy, and I wasn't one of them. It was a true Cavalry model with the saddle ring and staple on the lower trigger plate. I looked it over and asked the price, which was $90. I rember thinking at the time I didn't want to pay that much money for something that looked like a BB gun!

JDH

RangerFrog
08-10-2012, 04:34 PM
I remember the first time I ever saw a Model 1 Maynard for sale. It way back in the middle of the last century when very few people knew about their association with the Confederacy, and I wasn't one of them. It was a true Cavalry model with the saddle ring and staple on the lower trigger plate. I looked it over and asked the price, which was $90. I rember thinking at the time I didn't want to pay that much money for something that looked like a BB gun!

JDH

You're killing me here, John... when I think of all the great Civil War vintage stuff (weaponry and otherwise) that was available then and how cheap the prices seem today, it breaks my heart. Then I remember I was so poor back then I couldn't even afford the aforementioned "forearmless Daisy." ;)

Froggie

norman horne, 12321
08-10-2012, 06:24 PM
Going way back Egg. Many hundreds of pop bottles traded in for bb's. Our local country store carried the little plastic bags that held about 100. I would leave home and walk the 1/2 mile to the store, hoping I would find enough bottles to trade before I got there. Hard work, hard times; what I wouldn't give to have my grandchildren grow up in the same situation!

Muley Gil
08-10-2012, 08:09 PM
Going way back Egg. Many hundreds of pop bottles traded in for bb's. Our local country store carried the little plastic bags that held about 100. I would leave home and walk the 1/2 mile to the store, hoping I would find enough bottles to trade before I got there. Hard work, hard times; what I wouldn't give to have my grandchildren grow up in the same situation!

Yeah, I would pick up coke bottles for the 2 cent deposit. A 6 1/2 oz Coke cost 12 cents, but only a dime if you drank it on the premises. Me and my buddies would sit on the "liar's bench" in front of the Esso station and drink our Co-colas.

I bought Winchester BBs there as well They came in a yellow paper tube with a blue cap IIRC.

Southron Sr.
08-10-2012, 11:14 PM
When I was 14 years old I stopped by Uncle Leo Warren's General Store in downtown Pulaski, Georgia and he had a High Standard .22 Revolver for sale. It was brand new in the box. He wanted $25.00 for the revolver.

I went home and counted up my "savings" from mowing lawns. I had $20.00. So, I talked my younger brother, Karl and he came up with the balance of the money we needed from his savings.

So we took off for Uncle Leo's store and I counted out the money for the revolver. Uncle Leo said: "Are you sure that this is O.K. with your Mom?" I said: "It sure is and she wants to know if you are going to throw in two boxes of .22 ammo with the gun." [Mom didn't know we were purchasing a pistol-but she wouldn't have cared anyway.] Amazingly, Uncle Leo threw in two boxes of ammo.

Karl and I went out to the farm and promptly burned up those two boxes of ammo with our new pistol. We had a lot of fun!!!

John Holland
08-11-2012, 01:12 AM
Charlie, yep, money was a problem back then. If I remember correctly I was making $1.10 an hour bussing tables on the mid-night shift in an all-night diner, so the Model 1 Maynard was not cheap by any means!

JDH

Ron/The Old Reb
08-11-2012, 08:37 AM
Since everyone is reminiscing about the good old days. Here is a link to a website that will bring back some memory's for those of us who are 60+.

http://www.nicholscapguns.com

I had a couple of these I wish I still had.

Eggman
08-11-2012, 09:53 AM
I don't like to reminise. I was born in a house on the edge of the town I grew up in. After I moved away they burned the house down.

RaiderANV
08-12-2012, 02:05 PM
I have a daisy BB gun marked Made in Scotland. Finally found sumthin made in Scotland :D

Lou Lou Lou
08-12-2012, 05:04 PM
Egg
What is your current address?

snapcap14
08-13-2012, 12:03 PM
I have a daisy BB gun marked Made in Scotland. Finally found sumthin made in Scotland :D

Scoland PA USA.:)

RaiderANV
08-14-2012, 01:12 AM
Scoland PA USA.:)

Naw,,,,,,it be from the real Scotland,,,,,and not far down the road from where my father was born.

My grandmother went back to Scotland so all the kids where Scottish born. My father was the youngest and had 5 sisters. They changed the ruled for emigration between the
her 5th & 6th trip back over. When my father was born the new rule was even infants needed to wait and win the lottery drawing even through the mother was already approved. It took a years wait for her to return with her son my father. After that she refused to have anymore kids! My grandfather wanted 12!!!

Eggman
08-24-2012, 11:59 AM
I dug out #2 daughter's forearmless Daisy. It still shoots good. I think I can beat Norm's Sharps with it.

norman horne, 12321
08-24-2012, 06:43 PM
Hey Col. K.(alias Eggman). If you EVER get lucky enough to beat me with your Maynard toy(or that other thing you sometimes drag out), then I'll consider letting you try with the BB gun. Come to think of it, you'd probably have a better chance using the BB gun to start with!!

kowdok
09-04-2012, 02:07 PM
Well, the first ever Sharps vs Maynard competition is now in the books. The Sharps won handily, but I feel certain that if Eggman had concentrated more on fine tuning his Maynard instead of playing with that damn yodeling pickle, we could have been more competitive with our Maynards. Eggman, I have several suggestions of what you can do with that pickle next time. Actually I'm just kidding Col., I love the pickle.

norman horne, 12321
09-05-2012, 09:24 AM
Wasn'st going to say a lot about the event, but since the subject has been broached: I might suggest that Eggman attend the aforementioned "Maynard Re-union" for some sympathy and solace, and maybe look for a benevolent shoulder to shed some bitter tears on, after the "spanking" he and his "re-nowned" Maynard received this past week-end at Statesville(by them thar con-founded, non-firing, always-sticking Sharps carbines)!Norm.

RaiderANV
09-05-2012, 11:29 AM
Thinking this is working towards a new type of demonstration at the Spring Nationals, if it can be fit in.

EIGHT MAN teams made up of the same carbine. We'll have the God's own Maynards ;), Sharps, Smyths, Burnsides and any others who want to make up a team with any other carbine. Only one team per carbine. I'll shoot with Eggs any time.

As a side note I'm purdy dang shor' thar not be enuff starr's to make up a team. Shame,,,,,the others would not have had to worry about coming in last.

norman horne, 12321
09-05-2012, 02:55 PM
Oh Ye(Pat) of overblown expectations!! I would love to be a part of that 8 man Sharps team. Put the match together and let me know how much extra ammo I need to bring. See you in about a month. Norm.

boyscout775
09-05-2012, 08:10 PM
The Sharps may have won the competition, but the Maynard shooters do have one advantage. We get to eat supper sooner than the Sharps guys because it doesn't take near as long to clean the Maynards. There is always a bright side, haha.

Eggman
09-05-2012, 11:13 PM
That's not the only advantage Dust Bin. What you saw was a abberation from the "normal" Sharps performance. I cannot begin to count the times I've consoled weeping Sharps folks standing along the line with their inert, frozen Sharps limply hanging by their sides. It seems Norm and his minions have found a way to avoid malfunction and keep these guns firing. Still, we might have taken them if Kmdr. Kowdoc hadn't sent me off to fetch water.