PDA

View Full Version : moving front sight on 1853 Enfield

tackdriver
08-03-2012, 05:11 PM
I have a repro 1853 Enfield with a barrel made by Hoyt that shoots 12inches to the right at 100 yards. I am tired of doing the kentucky windage thing.
I am sure the process of removing and resoldering the front sight would destroy the blueing in that area (and with me doing the resoldering I'd most likely burn through the barrel..)
I tried calling Hoyt to see if he can install a dovetail but all I get is the he's not available message.I understand there are ways to recut the rear sight to correct for windage but I'm afraid it might look a little funky...Unless there's a way to adjust the rear that I'm not aware of.????

Lastly, if anyone else has an Enfield barrel made by Hoyt I'd be interested in knowing what diameter mini ball you use.

I am in California by the way

thx

Rich Foster
08-03-2012, 08:32 PM
Is your rear sight centered on the barrel when you look down the sights when shouldered? Or does it lean to one side? Trying to figure out your problem. To be off 12" at 100yds your rear sight would have to be off 3/32" a noticeable offset. Now your front sight might need to be moved or replaced with a wider to file in to correct windage. Rich Foster

Jim Brady Knap's Battery
08-04-2012, 02:31 AM
I believe Hoyt solders the front sights into a dovetail. You should be able to heat it and move it the direction it needs to go.

Jim Brady
2249V
Knap's Battery

Jim Brake 3587
08-04-2012, 06:28 AM
The barrel should have the diameter stamped on the underside. Bobby's barrels are usually .577 ; .576 ; ect. They should also be marked with the rate of twist , 1-60" , 1-56" and as pointed out earlier, the front sight is usually soldered on and can be moved. If your basic shooting is at 100 yds., I recommend the Lyman old style minnie as a basic bullet and a basic target load of 40 grains of 3F Goex black powder . I would need more info. to better advise you. Also , feel free to call me at 540-450-7734....I live in Va.

tackdriver
08-04-2012, 01:49 PM
Hi guys and THANKS for all your input. I just got off the phone with Mr Jim Brake and I learned more about my rifle in the last 10 minutes than I had over the last 3 years!

Seems the front sight IS dovetailed! The dovetail doesnt look like the type of dovetail I'm used to seeing (where it goes all the way across the top of the barrel)

I had bought my rifle from James River Inc. a few years ago. I understand that Bobby had once rifled out some Armi sport barrels for them. There are no stamps on the bottom,unfortunatly.

Before I do anything I will start with the 40g 3f to see how that works.

Unfortunatly, unlike you east coast guys who can target shoot outside your back door, I live in San Diego and shooting here now requires a 100 mile drive out to the desert (which is now 105') So its drive out there, try something new, if it doesnt work drive home and make another correction, drive back out there......... But the good news is San Diego is 75' right now with no humidity......of course the wind chill makes if feel more like 73'....;)

Once again thanks and I wish I'd discovered your web sight 3 years ago! It would of save me a LOT of wasted lead and powder!

William Schoenfeld, 1386
08-04-2012, 06:11 PM
I also have a Richmond from JRA and Bobby Hoyt did some work with the barrel too. I use a Rapine International and I shoot it with 42 grains of 3 F. Each weapon has its own load and bullet that will work with it. If I use an old style it will shoot high by 3 inches - great group but high. Just like Jim said I would try the old style and see what happens with it. I am sure that you will find the correct load for it.
Dutch Schoenfeld
Mosby's Rangers

ian45662
08-04-2012, 10:30 PM
I believe that Hoyt lined JRA guns at .577 with 7 groove but I do not know the twist. I am also not positive on that so take it for what its worth

tackdriver
08-05-2012, 01:13 PM
I used the oversized bullet in the end of the muzzle, twist and measure method and the bullet came out to be 577. This means I should shoot a 575 right?

I am still "shocked" at only using 40g of 3F. I wouldn't think that low of powder would even push the minie out the barrel!!.. I do use the old style Minie cast with a Lyman mold

How many g's at 200, 300 yds do you use? I used 60 for all and just adjusted the rear sight

I used 60g before cuz it was my understanding to use the same amount of powder as is the caliber. This worked for my flintlock and Great Plains. And the weight of those bullets are considerable less than a minie.

I am anxious to get out and try these ideas but the desert is supposed to be up to 115 this week. And I aint tough enuf to put up with that!!:mad:

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
08-05-2012, 03:01 PM
Tackdriver, you are correct. If your bore measured .577, then a minnie ball sized to .575 should do the job. With minnie balls you size 1 to 2 thousands under bore size. Most shooters use between 40-50 grns. of powder. We in the N-SSA shoot between 50 & 100 yds. in competition and those loads do extremely well. Some shooters even use a little less, or a little more, whatever it takes to have a consistant tight group. The standard charge for the Civil War era cartridge was 60 grns.

I too shoot flintlock patched roundball and use the 1 grain per caliber for target, and 1 1/2 grain per caliber for hunting. Although Civil War era muskets don't require as much. Suprising the power of black powder.

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
08-05-2012, 03:19 PM
Tackdriver,

I also wanted to welcome you aboard the N-SSA bulletin board. There is such a treasuetrove of information on this site from extremely knowlegable individuals be it N-SSA members or others. Be sure to check out the whole website like checking out the N-SSA activities tab, and then the shooting events in that tab. There is also a video at the bottom of the home page, outlining what the N-SSA does. Enjoy.

Muley Gil
08-05-2012, 03:32 PM
"Unfortunatly, unlike you east coast guys who can target shoot outside your back door,..."

Life in the Blue Ridge mountains of Southwest Virginia is good. This is my back pasture. I'm setting up a 100 yard range down by the creek.

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l203/MuleyGil/P10100462.jpg

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l203/MuleyGil/footbridgeCApril2012.jpg

I have had deer come within 10 yards of the back door, too.

tackdriver
08-05-2012, 04:06 PM
OMG Gil, that's beautiful!
I'd send you a pix of my backyard, but all you'd see is freeway. Lately, they've started to frown at my going there to pop off a few rounds ......

If you're ever bored and want so see how bad it is in trying to find a place just to shoot out here in San Diego, go to calguns.net and read some of the comments. It'll make you guys appreciate what you have even more, IF that's possible...