PDA

View Full Version : The Super Match Revolver Hasn't Been Built Yet!

Southron Sr.
07-19-2012, 11:29 PM
A fella over in Europe that worked in the design department a large automobile company had access to some pretty sophisticated CAD programs used to design automobiles. He was also an enthusiastic black powder revolver shooter. On a hunch, he ran the design of both a replica 1858 Remington Revolver and a Uberti replica Colt 3rd Model Dragoon through the design computers he had at work..

Contrary to a Century & a Half of "Conventional Wisdom," the computer declared THE DRAGOON TO HAVE THE MOST RIGID FRAME! What does that mean? That means that a "Match Accurized" Dragoon could theoretically "out shoot" a replica '58 Remington!

When you think about it-that just makes sense. A Dragoon has a MASSIVE ARBOR the cylinder rotates on compared to the thin arbor found on a Remmie. Also, the "Rectangular Frame" of the Dragoon that consists of arbor, barrel assembly and revolver frame is much smaller (and hence more rigid) than the "Rectangular Frame" of the Remington revolver. Compared to the Colt arbor, the Remington arbor is downright wimpy.

Of course, as everyone knows-the Remmie "Rear Sight," being a groove cut into the top of the Remington frame is superior to the "notch in the hammer nose" rear sight found on Dragoons.

Well, way back in the Fall of 1860 the 2nd U.S. Dragoons were issued "4 screw, 3rd Model Dragoons" WITH FOLDING LEAF REAR SIGHTS! Each trooper was issued two Dragoon revolvers along with one "Attachable" shoulder stock.

Considering that the Civil War started a few months later in April of 1861, with a little additional research, documentation could be uncovered that could prove to the satisfaction of the Small Arms Committee that indeed, 4 screw 3rd Model Dragoons with folding leaf rear sights were used during the
Civil War. [There is also some evidence that early in the Civil War Yankee cavalry units from both New York and Kentucky were issued 4 screw, M1860 Colt Revolvers with identical folding leaf rear sights.]

Hence a quality replica of a 4 screw, 3rd Model Dragoon [and possibly M1860's] with folding leaf rear sights could be "Approved" for Skirmish use. Matter of fact, Armi San Marcos did make a replica of a 4 screw, 3rd Model Dragoon WITH A FOLDING LEAF REAR SIGHT for a while before they were bought out. So, there are still some of those Dragoons floating on the used gun markets out there.

So think about this: A "Match Accurized" [and "Approved"] 4 screw Uberti Dragoon revolver EQUIPPED WITH A FOLDING LEAF REAR SIGHT would make the Revolver matches at Skirmishes "an entirely new game."

The folding leaf rear sight, being dovetailed into the rear of the Dragoon's barrel would be easily adjustable for "Windage" simply by tapping it back and forth in the dovetail. As for "Elevation," the lowest rear sight leaf could be set up for 25 Yards and the taller leaf for 50 Yards.

Needless to say, the folding leaf Dragoon rear sights would definitely be much superior to the "Fixed" sights found on Remmies and Rogers & Spencers. I think that higher scores would be more easily shot with the accurized Dragoons. Personally, I would cut my Dragoon sights to make them "Partridge style" rear sight leaves.

Anyway, I write up this idea of a "Super Match Dragoon Revolver" every year or so on this BB. I would like to challenge some of our top revolver shooters to accurize a Uberti Dragoon, add a folding leaf rear sight, get the gun "Approved" for Skirmish use and then start "raking in more and more revolver medals!"
Then get on this BB and let us know all about your "Dragoon Project!"

GOOD LUCK AND ALL MY BEST TO YOU!

Jim Wimbish, 10395
07-20-2012, 07:01 AM
While all that may be true, the Dragoon is far too heavy to hold for one handed shooting. It is a truly massive revolver. A Remington weighs 2 pounds 13 ounces while the Dragoon weighs 4.1 pounds. Might as well put a pistol grip on a Sharps carbine and try to shoot it one handed.

Maillemaker
07-20-2012, 08:19 AM
You see, Southron, it takes Southern muscle to wield a Dragoon.

:D:D

Steve

Maillemaker
07-20-2012, 08:20 AM
A Remington weighs 2 pounds 13 ounces while the Dragoon weighs 4.1 pounds. Might as well put a pistol grip on a Sharps carbine and try to shoot it one handed.

Or shoot two Remingtons instead of one Dragoon! You could be like Doc Holiday - "I've got two pistols, one for each of ya!"

:D:D

Steve

RaiderANV
07-21-2012, 11:36 PM
Once ya fit a Maynard tape primer THEN,,,,,,,you'll truly have a " Super Match Revolver"!

Eggman
07-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Got exactly that on my little Mass. Arms .28 cal pocket revolver. Even have a roll of the original Maynard primers. Am waiting for a proper circumstance to use them. Opted for the shotgun for the timber rattler last week.
Consider - the Mass. Arms gun has five chambers and but one nipple -- plus -- you manually release and rotate the cylinder with your fingers each shot.
Probably not an advancement on the Colt - but - plenty good for New England tea drinkers.

bilge water bob
07-23-2012, 06:39 AM
I hate tea, but love dragoons

Southron Sr.
08-06-2012, 06:48 PM
Colt 1860 Army Revolvers (along with one stock per two revolvers) WITH THE FLIP UP LEAF REAR SIGHTS identical to those found on Dragoons were supplied to New York and Kentucky cavalry units in 1861.

There is an article in the current issue of "Man at Arms Magazine" about the development of the shoulder stocked Dragoons, but the author mentioned very little about the flip up leaf rear sights.

Jim Wimbish, 10395
08-06-2012, 09:08 PM
Glad to know that the Army revolver had the flip up rear sight. That solves the weight problem. Cylinder removal for loading still a disadvantage compared to R & S or Remington.

Terry Davis 10639
08-11-2012, 01:26 PM
I hate tea, but love dragoons

I am still searching for the "Girl with the Dragoon tattoo".