PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Ballard Carbine

Jim Wimbish, 10395
07-17-2012, 03:58 PM
I have a Ball and Williams Ballard carbine, serial number 78xx which has sling swivel on side of receiver as well as swivels on the barrel band and butt stock. It has the Ball and Williams markings on the barrel, but no state markings. All of the serial numbers match as well as the assembly numbers on several parts. Given the swivels, I am guessing that a state must have ordered it this way. Does anyone have information on this particular configuration? The barrel is the typical carbine length octagon to round.

Thanks,

Jim

Eddie Bruner, 12222
07-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Can you post some pictures. I have over a dozen Ballard carbines and Rifles, and I have not seen this configuration. I would love to se a few pics.

-Eddie

Jack C., 69th NY
07-17-2012, 10:51 PM
In Bill West's book on Marlin and Ballard Firearms, as I recall, there is a picture of a Ballard carbine with a much longer saddle ring bar on the side. I do not have the book with me right now so I am just relying on my memory. Several years ago, I saw an identical carbine (as in West's book) for sale but I never pursued that one, not knowing if it were genuine or not. The bar looked too long and too fragile to be of true military origin. This one, as pictured today has the true military look but I have never seen one like it or even a reference to one. I have read and re-read Dutcher's and Layman's books and possibly there is a mention of the saddle ring bar, but again, I do not recall seeing any mention of it. With Ballards, anything is possible. Ballards were gunsmithed and modified to the extent that nothing is a surprise anymore. It certainly is a nice variation. Let's hope that someone can shed some light on it.

Jack

Jack C., 69th NY
07-18-2012, 10:57 PM
According to Bill West's book Marlin and Ballard Firearms & History, pictured on page 1-10, "Special Saddle Ring Retainer" appears on a Ballard carbine. It runs from the side of the forward end of the receiver back to the wrist of the butt stock. West states "This was unusual on Ballard Carbines. Few had Saddle Rings."