PDA

View Full Version : Question about early US Bayonet

Johnny Yuma
07-17-2012, 07:12 AM
Hi Guys, This is my first post. Its not exactly Civil War specific, but these muskets were used right up into the first part (at least ) of the Civil War. I recently got an original condition Springfield Mod. 1795 musket. Ive been looking for a bayonet. At a local Antique flea market I found a model 1816 bayo. The dealer said that these are interchangeable. Are they? Is there a bayonet specific to the M.1795? Thanks. Johnny

GPM
07-17-2012, 09:19 AM
Your best bet would be to carry the musket to a civil war relic show and try to find a bayonet that will fit your gun. They were fitted to musket even back then so the chances of buying one blind that will fit well are pretty slim. The 1816 bayonet is not the correct bayonet for your gun. You are looking for what dealers call a 1795 - 1808 bayonet.

John Holland
07-17-2012, 01:12 PM
The Model 1816 bayonet not only won't fit and, as pointed out, it is also entirely inappropriate. If you are having trouble identifying the bayonet, just for starters the socket will be about 4" long.

I would strongly recommend taking a look at the book "American Socket Bayonets and Scabbards" by Robert Reilly. It is a definitive work on the subject.

If you are interested in bayonets in general, you might consider joining the Society of American Bayonet Collectors (SABC). Their publications hold a wealth of additional information on American bayonets.

John Holland
SABC