PDA

View Full Version : Help With Smith Carbine loads

mserio
07-09-2012, 09:30 PM
Am new to skirmishing and would appreciate any suggested loads for my Pietta Smith carbine. Bore slugged .508 so will be using 350-gr bullets and .509 sizer, 50-50 beeswax-Crisco lube and Dixie Gun Works plastic cases. Any suggestions as to powder charge, filler,etc?? Dixie's ad sugested .515 bullets, so shot them with no accuracy whatsoever. Thanks for your help!!!

Tom Magno, 9269V
07-10-2012, 12:10 AM
When I shoot my Smith, I use the black plastic cases, with 25-28 grains of 3F, topped with just enough cream of rice to seat the bullet with the top grease ring just covered by the case. But each chamber length is slightly different - use enough filler to make the overall cartridge length such that when you close the action, it just barely seats the round into the rifling. I use MCM lube, but crisco/beeswax should be fine - you may want to cut down on the beeswax a little to make the lube not as stiff. Good luck!

Eggman
07-10-2012, 12:13 AM
I've had great consistency with a lightweight Maynard bullet - I believe it's about .515, and 35 grains of fffg in your same plastic case. I'm a lube fanatic. I don't worry about lube in the grease groove but instead place a large glob of rancid Crisco around the front ogive immediately before firing. I'm convinced it's the grease that makes the performance.
Still Maynards rule.

norman horne, 12321
07-10-2012, 06:30 AM
Come now Col. K. I'm pretty sure that the "Maynards rule" mis-conception has been relegated to its proper place of "wishful thinking" category; ie the Last Skirmisher Standing competition where a Sharps rifle took top honors and a Sharps carbine came in second! 'Nuff said.

John Holland
07-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Although the prowess of the Sharps Rifle and Sharps Carbine are legendary, I believe the credit for their accuracy at the Last Man Standing event is to be shared equally by "Deadly Dan" and "Stormin' Norman" ! ! !

I was there, and you two guys are flat out GOOD!

JDH

Eggman
07-10-2012, 11:34 AM
Yeah we of the Iredell Blues have to admit that Norm's performance as of late has been fairly impressive. We expect that if he keeps improving we may move him onto the "A" team.

RaiderANV
07-10-2012, 02:25 PM
Although the prowess of the Sharps Rifle and Sharps Carbine are legendary, I believe the credit for their accuracy at the Last Man Standing event is to be shared equally by "Deadly Dan" and "Stormin' Norman" ! ! !

I was there, and you two guys are flat out GOOD!

JDH

I hear ya John. BUT,,,,,,,,,,, let 'em use ah Maynard and they'll hit even closer to the tabs!! :cool:

norman horne, 12321
07-10-2012, 03:39 PM
Thanks for the kind words John. How I DO love this game of ours! And yep Raider; the Maynards are accurate. I just have a hard time getting used to how they feel. Kinda reminds me of the old Daisy BB guns, the ones without a forestock. Maybe one day when I win the lottery I'll purchase me one of them thar Maynards as a "backup" to my Sharps. Y'all take care and stay cool. Norm.

mserio
07-10-2012, 07:52 PM
Thanks guys -- after i posted i noted there were references to previous post, but i appreciate the info from you. Will give it a try -- bought some cream of rice for filler -- if it doesn't work at least i can eat breakfast!!!

Timmeu
07-10-2012, 08:45 PM
Cream of Rice for Breakfast!

You are braver than I am.

mserio
07-11-2012, 07:24 AM
Well, my dog eats green beans. We fed him nothing but green beans for 2 weeks and then he finally began eating them!! Same thing with cream of rice!

Ron/The Old Reb
07-11-2012, 05:02 PM
If I fed my dog beans I would have to move out of the house. It's bad enough with out the beans.http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/images/smilies/icon_mrgreen.gif

Eggman
07-12-2012, 03:59 PM
I must confess that's the first time I've heard of a dog conversion to vegitarianism. This may add to long debate about whether personal tastes are acquired or are inherited. You know the proclivity of the K-9 species to view nine day old road-kill as a great delicacy sort of had me convinced that their taste preferences were inherited. I'm especially interested in the fact that Meserio was able to force this change. You know there was another food source available -- Meserio's ankle. I got to think they must have kept him in a cage the whole time.
On the acquired preference side - we are all aware of the great variety of human prefernces, from the haggis for the Scotts, to the ludifisk for the Norwegians, to the slimy raw oysters for the New Englanders, to the pork rinds for the Southerners, to each his own. I just wonder if these preferences become part of our genetic make-up. I hear that Fiji Islanders still drool when a missionary walks by.

mserio
07-12-2012, 09:39 PM
Well Eggman, it is my sincere belief that dogs really do not have a true sense of taste -- for example, you give them a nice piece of meat, say a nice piece of steak or tenderloin off of the grill and they immediately chomp it down (hot or not) almost ot the point of choking themselves. They certainly do not savor its delicate flavors. Plus, have you looked at dry dog food closely? It is indistinguishable from a dirt clod. Also, you NEVER see restaurants for dogs, which goes back to my reasoning on the dry dog food. By the way, with all of the ethnic restaurants out there, why aren't there any Eskimo restaurants? (Be careful Sir, these plates are cold!!). And a very good evening to all!!!!

Ron/The Old Reb
07-13-2012, 08:07 AM
Why you don't see any Eskimo restaurants.
There are two polar bears. One is standing by an igloo the other is on top of it eating it. The one eating the igloo says to the other polar bear. " I just love these things, there crunchy on the outside and chewy on the inside "

Michael T.
07-13-2012, 10:38 AM
You guys know there is a Skirmish at the Fort and one in Defiance, Ohio if you are bored..http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/images/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif

Ron/The Old Reb
07-13-2012, 11:39 AM
Believe me if I could be at the Fort, I would be there. I am not sitting at home because I want to.:cry: