PDA

View Full Version : Question For The Small Arms Committee Regarding Dragoon Pistols

Southron Sr.
07-04-2012, 12:46 AM
The current issue of "Man at Arms" magazine has an article in it by Charles Pate entitled: "The Origins of Colt's Attachable Shoulder Stock." In the article, in brings out the facts: On February 17th 1858 the Ordnance Board met and made the following recommendations regarding the adoption of the Colt Dragoon Revolver with an attachable stock, to wit: 1. Adoption of the Colt pistol with breech attachment and each trooper be furnished with two pistols and one stock.... 5. The pistol be sighted for one, two and three hundred yards.... (My comment: Obviously the Dragoon Pistol adopted also came with a three leaf rear sightper the Ordnance Board's recommendation, as surviving original Colt Dragoon pistols indicate.) The article also brings out that the Colt Dragoons with the shoulder stocks were issued to Companies D & H of the Second Regiment of Dragoons in the Fall of 1859 and a letter written by the regimental Colonel in May of 1860 indicates that the Dragoon revolvers were highly though of by the men they were issued to. Since the letter was written 10 months before Fort Sumter, it would be safe to assume that when the war broke out, those Colt Dragoons were still in issue to the 2nd Dragoons, hence, a quality, replica Dragoon revolver with a three leaf rear sight can be "Approved" for Skirmish use.

Muley Gil
07-06-2012, 08:48 PM
Didn't Dixie or Navy Arms sell replicas with the folding rear sight at one time?

Ron/The Old Reb
07-07-2012, 08:19 AM
Yes! Dixie sold a 3rd Model Dragoon with a folding rear sight. But where not cut for the shoulder stock. I may be wrong but I think all originals with the folding sight where cut for the shoulder stock.