PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on Pedersoli's 1859 Sharps Carbine Sought

Colt1851
06-27-2012, 11:55 PM
I just received from Cabela's a new-in-the box Pedersoli 1859 Sharps carbine and have concerns with the metal to wood fit. In several locations around the lock, tang and butt plate there are noticable gaps wide enough to fit a credit card or slightly thicker object. In other areas the fit is excellent. Additionally, the barrel band is loose, almost to the point of rattling around. Is this normal for Pedersoli? I've never owned a Pedersoli before, but do own a Shiloh Sharps 1863 carbine. I was expecting fit and finish close to the Shiloh as I've read Pedersoli is noted for it's finish of various replicas. Did I get a reject or are my expectation too high? Had I seen this replica in a gunshop I would have passed it by considering the fit issues and the Pedersoli price tag. Any opinions/recommendations are appreciated.

Mike in Alaska

Maillemaker
06-28-2012, 10:32 AM
I don't know what's normal for them these guns but for the Prices Pedersoli charges I would expect first-rate craftsmanship.

I have heard Cabelas is pretty good about returns.

Steve

johnefelts
06-28-2012, 08:01 PM
I have a Pedersoli Sharps and I was really happy with the wood to metal fit all around,I think you got a bad one.

Southron Sr.
06-29-2012, 02:43 AM
I have owned three original Sharps Carbines, a Shiloh Sharps and a Pedersoli Sharps. The quality of the Pedersoli is fully equal to the Shiloh and I think that the Pedersoli has an edge in the "accuracy department."

You will have to do a "Sanders 20 Dollar 'O' Ring Job" to keep shooting past 10 shots unless you get the new version with the modified breech block assembly.

bobanderson
06-29-2012, 07:53 AM
I have a couple of Pedersolis, an 1859 that I horsetraded from someone on this board (Thanks, Clint) and an 1874 from Dixie Gun Works about 15 years ago. They are both examples of fine workmanship. I've won several BPCRS matches with the 74 and hope to do as well on the line with the percussion gun.

Take it back and have them order you another one.

kevikens
06-29-2012, 09:31 AM
I have owned three original Sharps Carbines, a Shiloh Sharps and a Pedersoli Sharps. The quality of the Pedersoli is fully equal to the Shiloh and I think that the Pedersoli has an edge in the "accuracy department."

You will have to do a "Sanders 20 Dollar 'O' Ring Job" to keep shooting past 10 shots unless you get the new version with the modified breech block assembly.
Just what is the $20 Sanders O ring job and can one purchase just the modified breech block assembly? My Pedersoli looks good but freezes after about 5 or 6 shots.

johnefelts
06-29-2012, 07:09 PM
Ive got Charlie Hahn doing a breech job for me and is probably the best option for your sharps.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
06-30-2012, 09:00 AM
I am the current owner of the Pedersoli Sharps Rifle that was raffled off about 3 years ago. Fit & finish is quite good, though not Shiloh quality. The gun shoots "lights out!". If fit is not up to standard, you may want to ask for an exchange.