PDA

View Full Version : How many use Emmert's lube

OregonBill
06-21-2012, 11:50 AM
Not meaning to whomp up a big old hairy lube thread, but I am eager to shoot my Smith carbine, and while I have SPG on hand, I like to make my own stuff. Have made various other lubes, but not Emmert's, and it seems to be popular. How has it worked for you in CW carbine applications? Have a better suggestion?

RangerFrog
06-21-2012, 02:41 PM
I use it with good results in my Romano Maynard (50 caliber, reduced brass.) I also use it to pan lube Minies for my Euroarms Zouave. I like it.

Froggie

ms3635v
06-21-2012, 04:33 PM
My son-in-law and I use SPG with great success in our Smith and Maynard carbines. SPG seems to produce little fouling and makes it easy to clean at the end of a match.

OregonBill
06-21-2012, 06:59 PM
I have had good performance from SPG too. Went ahead and made some Emmert's just because. I can assure you my hands have not been "so soft and young-looking" in years!
:p

Kurt Lacko 7862
06-21-2012, 08:16 PM
If this is the Emmerts formula that is basically beeswax and crisco, don't make more than a seasons worth because it will go rancid (stinky) in a years period of time.

John Holland
06-21-2012, 09:29 PM
I have found if you freeze your concoction of beeswax & crisco it will keep much longer.

JDH

le piaf
06-23-2012, 07:30 AM
i use also Emmert's 70%crisco 20%beewax and 10% olive oil ( less oil and more beewax in summer)......and a few drop of wintergreen for the smell

hp gregory
06-23-2012, 08:33 AM
i like lens lube for everything but smoothbore. revo, carbine, musket, single shot. its great stuff. little soft on a hot day but if you keep it out of the sun it works fine. great stuff.

hp

RangerFrog
06-23-2012, 05:52 PM
If this is the Emmerts formula that is basically beeswax and crisco, don't make more than a seasons worth because it will go rancid (stinky) in a years period of time.

I've been using the same batch for at least 4 years and it isn't rancid yet. Maybe you should use some Crisco™ that hasn't been used for frying onions! ;)

Froggie