PDA

View Full Version : Help Identifing a 1874 Sharps??

Walt Zdon JR, 6629V
06-19-2012, 09:54 PM
Here's what we all dreamed about, My Uncle found a Sharps rifle in a wall while tearing down an old house from the late 1800's. The gun has some light rust and missing the front sight and forearm. The barrel is 30 inches and is .40cal. It has an additional stamp behind the caliber marking of S20, a 48 on the bottom of the receiver, S. Lawrence on the sight and Sharps Rifle Manufc Co. Hartford Conn. on the barrel, Long Range Tang Sight and a Brass Butthook Creedmoore style. The buttstock was broken near the small of the stock. The S/N# starts with a C, 53887 ??

I don’t know if it is a 40-90 or 40-70 we need to let the receiver block sit in oil for a week or so. We did not want to force it open.

The pictures are small but if you think you can help I can provide larger formats.

Walt Zdon, JR
walter.zdon@gmail.com

John Holland
06-20-2012, 08:46 AM
Walt, congratulations on the "find of a lifetime!"

Your description is very good, as are the photos. You said you can provide larger photos if it would help, but, what are your questions?

The serial number is correct. It is just before they dropped the "C" and went to using a "1" in place of the "C". You should find the matching serial number on the frame under the tang sight. You should also find the last four digits of the serial number on the lock plate, trigger plate, butt plate, and the extractor.

The number on the bottom of the receiver is an assembly number.

The "S20" indicates there was something "Special" ordered with the rifle. It usually had to do with the bore or the wood. It is not a common marking!

You should also find the case length, and or, the powder charge on the side of the barrel.

I will say right up front my knowledge of the 1874 Model is rather limited, but if you have any specific questions I will be happy to attempt to answer them for you.

I hope this has helped you enjoy your new find a bit more!

John Holland
Sharps Collectors Ass'n
Life Member

Walt Zdon JR, 6629V
06-20-2012, 07:04 PM
Thanks John,

Thats more information that I could find on line. Do you have a recomendation on a good book about the sharps. I have always shot a 1859 sharps carbine but I don't know much about the later guns. The buttplate and stock could very well be the special ordered items. I didn't find much about them on line.

Thanks,

JR

John Holland
06-21-2012, 03:11 PM
The definitive word on Sharps is "Sharps Firearms", by Frank Sellers, ISBN 0-917714-12-1. It was printed in 1978 and is now only available on the secondary market.

JDH