PDA

View Full Version : WTB Parker-Hale Whitworth breech plug

Oyvind
06-19-2012, 05:29 PM
Does anyone happen to have a breech plug for a Birmingham made Parker-Hale Whitworth rifle? I need a replacement as the nipple threads are worn out in mine.

medic302
06-19-2012, 05:38 PM
you would be much better off just drilling and retapping with a larger thread size. you won't find a breechplug without a new barrel to go with it. track of the wolf has alot of oversized drill and taps.

Oyvind
06-19-2012, 06:12 PM
Not enough metal, I'm afraid. It's completely burnt out.

medic302
06-19-2012, 06:39 PM
sounds like it's time for a new barrel then. there is a really good article written by a friend of mine on the dissassembly of the volunteer breech on the long range muzzle loading forum. the breech is really in three pieces why PH designed it that way i have no clue. i shoot the euroarms whitworth which is exactly the same as the PH's they were copied from.

majvret
06-19-2012, 09:29 PM
sounds like it's time for a new barrel then. there is a really good article written by a friend of mine on the dissassembly of the volunteer breech on the long range muzzle loading forum. the breech is really in three pieces why PH designed it that way i have no clue. i shoot the euroarms whitworth which is exactly the same as the PH's they were copied from. Can you post the link to the article mentioned on the ph volunteer? Thanks

R Filbert
06-19-2012, 09:39 PM
Go see Dan Whitacre he can replace the breach as good as new!

medic302
06-19-2012, 10:12 PM
here's the link
http://www.researchpress.co.uk/shooting/lrml/gunsmithing/volunteerbreechplug.htm

Oyvind
06-20-2012, 06:11 AM
Thanks for the link, medic302. I wasn't aware that the breech was a three piece thing.

Another option is to TIG weld, drill and retap. Perhaps that's the cheapest way to go, but if I can find a new bolster I'll go with that.