PDA

View Full Version : Rubber Smith Tubes

Yancey von Yeast, 8073
06-13-2012, 10:08 PM
Has anyone tried these: http://www.shelltube.us/smith_comp_liner.html

They look wonderful to me but I wonder how they hold up.

Thanks,
Yancey

David Disher 12143
06-15-2012, 07:36 AM
I never used those particular ones, but I did use a rubber Smith Tube. Several guys on our team had them made years back. It was actually a section of surgical tubing, and a base was inserted in them that was made for the tube. The lore was that the flexible rubber allowed, at ignition, for a better seal in the breech. The brass tubes obviously have little flexibilty, and therefore a better opportunity for gases to escape and affect accuracy. Also, observing a shooter on the line, using brass tubes in her Smith, had to use a tiny pair of needle-nose pliers to remove the brass casing after each round was fired. Evidently they do expand, but do not return to original shape until they are cooled. Not a problem with the rubber. The rubber expands faster and more fully (supposedly), and creates a better seal. There are many options and opinions on which are best, I am just offering my past experience.

Ddisher
110th OVI

Ron/The Old Reb
06-15-2012, 08:27 AM
I have never used the rubber tubs. I have used the brass and the plastic tubs. I found that by taking a new lube pad and spraying it with silicon and rolling the tubes on the pad after they are loaded. They will not stick in the chamber and can be pulled out with your fingers.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
06-15-2012, 06:42 PM
I tried some and went back to the black plastic--more accurate for me. But go ahead--try some. (I do like to carry some long-nose pliers to the line with my Smith--just in case.)

Lou Lou Lou
06-25-2012, 03:19 PM
A teammate reported that he bought 50 and loaded them up 10 each with 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 grs of FFFG about two weeks ago. HE claimed lousy accuracy and then noticed 47 were cracked.

SBALLA
06-29-2012, 04:00 PM
A teammate reported that he bought 50 and loaded them up 10 each with 25, 26, 27, 28, 29 grs of FFFG about two weeks ago. HE claimed lousy accuracy and then noticed 47 were cracked.

Do you know what he meant by "cracked". Was he talking about the liner or the tube?