PDA

View Full Version : What minie ball and where do i get them?

Long Bill
06-11-2012, 07:59 AM
I just bought a 1861 springfield, 58 cal. Armi Sport. What minie ball should i get for these and where do you buy them. Also if i buy a mold, do i need to size these after they come out of the mold thanks.

pastore
06-11-2012, 08:50 AM
You first need to determine your bore size. They vary.

Michael Bodner
06-11-2012, 12:35 PM
As was stated, you should measure the bore diameter of your barrel to determine what size bullet and/or mold you need to buy. It is usually preferred that you do size your rounds to ensure that they are all identical. This removes one variable from the accuracy equation.

As to "How" to measure your bore diameter, I'll let others more familiar with techniques answer that.

Same thing on mold size verses measured size at it has been so long since I changed muskets, that I can't recall.

Good Luck!!

-Mike

Ken Hansgen, 11094
06-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Conventional wisdom says to size the Minies 1 to 2 thousandths of an inch below the bore size. I'm not sure of my bore size, but I have a set of many sizers in increments of 1 thousandth. I sized some bullets and I chose the largest size that fits into my muzzle and slides down a CLEAN barrel. In my case, this happens to be.576.

Paul Lampman 263V
06-11-2012, 02:38 PM
Long Bill
If you were to give your location in WV you might get a response for face to face help. Skirmishers are the most accomodating shooters you'll ever meet. Two identical new in the box muskets from the same manufacturer may require different size bullets due to rifling cutter wear, the number of vino breaks the Italians take, etc. The issue with buying bullets is that they generally come in a plastic bag and the thumping and bumping they take in storage and shipping is not conducive for a good round base of the bullet. Most muskets use bullets in the .585-.580 range. As previously stated you need a bullet within .001-.002 of the actual bore size for best performance. Our team has a set of bore gauges and would be glad to help. Powder charges can range generally from 35 to 50 grains of 3F.

Note: I'm not trying to start anything on this BB with 3F versus 2F.

If you don't get a response for face to face help and are reasonably close to Winchester come to one of our shoots. There's one next weekend and July 6-8. Bring your musket and ask for help. See our web page N-SSA.org for directions and shoot schedules.

kowdok
06-11-2012, 02:53 PM
I believe Paul meant .575 to .580

Paul Lampman 263V
06-11-2012, 03:04 PM
Right, my fingers don't work as quick as my brain. Or is it the other way around?

Long Bill
06-11-2012, 03:47 PM
Thanks guys. I am in New Martinsville which is at the base of the Northern Pan handle. I have done some reading about slugging the bore. It souns like a pretty straight forward job. I was wondering if anyone here molds their bullets at .575 and does not resize them. I was considering buying the Lee mold from Cabelas. I know i need to check size first. If anyone is close, say within an hour or so i would be happy to drive and meet them to get some help. Thanks

Paul Lampman 263V
06-11-2012, 04:58 PM
If you don't get any responses you're welcome to come during the July 6-8 shoot. I'll be there and we can check it out. If you want to stay over we can provide a bunk in our bunk house and even feed you. It looks like you're within a couple of hours of our range. You're sure to enjoy watching the team matches.

craig stanley, 4661
06-11-2012, 10:36 PM
Paul & Bill,

July shoot date is not correct, McNiels Rangers shoot is July 13-15, it is posted wrong on BB under skirmish schedule but correct under N-SSA activities on homepage.

just don't want you showing up when nobody is around, wouldn't help you too much then.

as far as location Allegheny region has a few folks in that area, quite a few north of you towards Pitt.

thx
craig

Muley Gil
06-11-2012, 10:45 PM
When I started skirmishing, I used a Zoli Zouave and a Lyman 575213 mould. My unsized Minies shot fine. A three shot group at 50 yards measured 1 1/2".

I was lucky.

Maillemaker
06-12-2012, 02:03 AM
What minie ball and where do i get them?
I just bought a 1861 springfield, 58 cal. Armi Sport. What minie ball should i get for these and where do you buy them. Also if i buy a mold, do i need to size these after they come out of the mold thanks.

Hi Bill:

Finding the right bullet and powder combination that provides you the most consistent group is the trick of accurately shooting these things.

Yes, you can shoot bullets "as cast", but you will probably get more consistent results running your bullets through a sizer. I use a Lyman Lubri-sizer with dies purchased from S&S firearms for this device.

Lee makes cheap molds, but they are no where near the quality and durability of machined steel molds. Lee molds are aluminum. The problem with their minie-ball molds is that the core that makes the hollow base and the mold halves are all aluminum. As you close the mold, no matter how careful you are, the core pin always slightly mis-aligns with the mold halves and/or galls on opening. Eventually you end up with minie-balls with skirts with dents and gouges molded into them. This might cause uneven gas venting as the bullet leaves the barrel, causing inaccuracy.

I have several Lee molds and a couple RCBS molds. The quality difference is staggering.

Finding the right size can be tricky. Slugging the barrel (forcing a piece of soft lead through the barrel) is harder on a barrel that is not open on both ends, and even if you do, you need special micrometers to measure across 3 points since because of the 3-land/3-groove arrangement you cannot use a simple pair of calipers to measure the diameter of the slug.

You can either use bore gages or just try different sized bullets until you find the tightest fitting one you can use and still load it consistently over 10 or so shots.

You'll have to play with powder charges to determine what shoots best for you. I find 48 grains of FF gives the best results in my gun so far, but I still haven't found the magic combination yet. It seems to me most people shoot FFF. I wish I had known that before I went and bought 15 pounds of FF. :)

Steve

Ron/The Old Reb
06-12-2012, 08:52 AM
Maillmaker is correct don't wast your money on the Lee mold. Steel molds are not cheap but in the long run you will not be sorry you spent the extra money for the steel mold. In this hobby you get what you pay for.

Long Bill
06-12-2012, 10:04 AM
Guys i know my rifle may be different but i contacted Chiappa customer support to ask them what the bore size are on their 1861 Springfields and this is their response.

Groove diameter - 0.6 inch
Bore diameter - 0.57 inch

Chiappa Customer Service

I don't remember hearing anyone say their bore was .57

This is probably a generalization

David Disher 12143
06-12-2012, 10:21 AM
Long Bill:

As tempting as it may be to find a mold that will cast the exact size you want to shoot (wouldn't life be so much easier), steel yourself (pun intended) to getting a good quality mold and size each and every round. Molds, like barrels, change characteristics at varying temperatures. Your mold, even a high quality one, will tend to throw at variances which can affect accuracy. Sure, sizing is an extra step, but the lubri-sizer products available can combine that step with one that cant be skipped...lube.
You may go through a number of experimental sizes and powder charges before you find what works best...there are so many variables from one gun to the next. You need to feed the gun what it wants. The perfect combination exists...its like a woman...you need to be willing to find what makes her smile.

Ddisher
110th OVI

dennis g
06-12-2012, 08:18 PM
Long Bill,
I'm in Wheeling. If you give me contact info, we might be able to work some things out.
dennis g

Maillemaker
06-12-2012, 10:29 PM
Guys i know my rifle may be different but i contacted Chiappa customer support to ask them what the bore size are on their 1861 Springfields and this is their response.

Chiappa Customer Service

It is a generalization. You really can't pay much attention to what the manufacturer says the bore diameter is. There is always variance in manufacturing, and for competition accuracy a thousandth of an inch can make a difference in your group sizes.

You can shoot bullets "as cast". I did it for my first few skirmishes as I did not yet have a sizer.

But the name of this game is accuracy and consistency. In order to get the best shots, you'll want to size your bullets. Some people even weigh them to weed out bullets that may have internal voids.

Steve

rachbobo
06-13-2012, 02:26 AM
Long Bill,
I'll be at the Fort this Friday for the mortar shoot. I have a set up that I can measure your bore and tell you exactly what size it is.
If you can't make it shoot me a private message and we can work out when and where to meet up.

Bill Cheek
Cockade Rifles

Chiappa Customer Service

smyates2
06-26-2012, 09:06 AM
Like Bill, I'm looking to purchase some minie balls. I'm a CW reenactor who likes to shoot and occasionally hunt and would love to use my Enfield or son's Richmond to do both (might end up joining the NSSA at some point). I understand the need for sizing the barrels, but will be out of town over the 4th and miss the next event. Is there any other way that I could get help sizing? I live in NOVA and am happy to travel to get this done. (

I'm planning on taking my son and some friends shooting July 22 and would like to have some balls to shoot.

Any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Scott

ms3635v
06-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Hey Scott. Is NOVA, like in Villanova, PA? If so, I'm not that far away...maybe I can help.

Maillemaker
06-26-2012, 10:32 AM
Like Bill, I'm looking to purchase some minie balls. I'm a CW reenactor who likes to shoot and occasionally hunt and would love to use my Enfield or son's Richmond to do both (might end up joining the NSSA at some point). I understand the need for sizing the barrels, but will be out of town over the 4th and miss the next event. Is there any other way that I could get help sizing? I live in NOVA and am happy to travel to get this done. (

Hi Scott,

If you are just looking for ocassional plinking or hunting, you might consider just buying some bullets.

http://www.lodgewood.com/cwbulletman.htm

I've not used this fellow but you could buy a few in various sizes near your size, for example buy some in .575, .576, .577 until you find a good fit.

This can let you experiment with sizes and styles without shelling out the dollars for molds and sizers until you find the best bullet.

Steve

smyates2
06-26-2012, 10:43 AM
Sorry - Northern VA (outside of DC). I'm willing to drive anywhere within 1-2 hours of DC.

smyates2
06-26-2012, 10:59 AM
Maillemaker ,
This is exactly what I need. I will give him a shout later today and try out a few to see what works best.

Thanks!

Ron/The Old Reb
06-26-2012, 11:35 AM
Scott

You could try Paul Weber he makes mines to sell.

Paul Weber
129 Twin Foxlane
Berkley Springs WV.
204-258-4666

Muley Gil
06-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Hey Scott. Is NOVA, like in Villanova, PA? If so, I'm not that far away...maybe I can help.

I believe he is speaking of NOrthern VirginiA.