PDA

View Full Version : Identify the Rifles in this Civil War Picture(Shows a Deceased Soilder)

johnefelts
06-10-2012, 11:25 AM
Ok the rifle lying across the Soilder appears to be an 1861 Springfield,but I can not identify the other in the background,the rear site appears to be open some what and the muzzle end appears to have been blown apart,I blocked out the soilders face out of respect.It was labled as confederate dead.614

John Holland
06-10-2012, 01:07 PM
Brazilian Light Minie Rifle, to answer your question. The other one, across the soldier, is a Model 1863 Springfield.

Blocking the face on a photo that is so well known is nothing short of ridiculous.

JDH

johnefelts
06-10-2012, 05:37 PM
You are right John it was absurd to have blocked the face,but these days one can not be careful enough as to what one post,hurt feelings and all,I have been banned in the past from other forums for posting lesser photos.Thank you however for nameing the model rifles present,the Brazilian,were they common?

John Holland
06-10-2012, 09:29 PM
There were about 5,000 Brazilian Light Minie Rifles and matching numbered bayonets imported by the North during the Civil War. It is not uncommon to find them marked "OHIO".

JDH