PDA

View Full Version : A Minie casting tip

Ken Hansgen, 11094
06-06-2012, 08:33 PM
Here's something I just discovered. You know how mould manufacturers tell you to always tap on the handles' hinge instead of the mould itself to release a stubborn or stuck bullet? Well, when I rapped on the hinge of a closed mould to release a stuck sprue (a problem I have since solved), I found if you rap on the hinge while a minie mould is closed, when you open it you only have to tap GENTLY to release the bullet from the base pin (occasionally it may even fall free by itself! I use moulds with captive base pins, but see no reason this technique may not work on others. as well.)

Paul Stephenson
06-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Ken, It seems like it might be prone to wallowing out the alignment pin holes if one taps on the hinge pin with the mould closed. I don't know just an assumption.

Paul

Michael Bodner
06-07-2012, 08:39 AM
I also find that a well-fluxed pot of lead will fall off the plug much easier. I just use candle wax (mind the flames, however!!)

-Mike

mwmoore10261
06-10-2012, 09:34 PM
The best way to release the minie from the mould is to coat the mould and base pin with mold release. This is a graphite based liquid or aerosol. Rapine used to make small bottles with brushes inside to coat his moulds. I also use only wooden mallets to tap my moulds. I make them from small scraps of hardwood (oak or mahogany) with 1/2 inch dowel rod for a handle. Looks like an upscale crab mallet. Once the moulds heat up and get seasoned the bullets darn near jump out. Mike Moore, 10261V, St. Mary's Light Infantry