PDA

View Full Version : Repro Ammo packets

David K. Fox
02-20-2009, 10:41 PM
Anyone out there make authentic labelled packets of Civil War musket and rifle-musket ammunition for display? Several years ago there was a source in Salt Lake City. Thanks. dave Fox

Lee Hoffecker
02-20-2009, 11:04 PM
David,
Try Mike Watson, its been some time sience I did business with him, but I think his address is still current. I was impressed with the high quality of his cartridges.
Cartridges Unlimited
Mike Watson, Sutler
4320A Hartford Street
St. Louis, MO 63116
(314) 664-4332

Lee

RaiderANV
02-21-2009, 12:12 AM
And if'n ya get desperate eGay,,,,,,I mean www.eBay.com (http://www.eBay.com) has them listed all the time by many makers.

David K. Fox
02-21-2009, 06:56 AM
My thanks.

Southron Sr.
02-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Back in the late 1970's I was a "Living History" history volunteer at Old Fort Jackson near Savannah, GA.

When I needed some authentic cartridge packet wrappers, I simply found pictures of a Richmond Labatory cartridge wrapper in a book-made an Xerox copy of the photo in the book and carried it to a place that makes up custom rubber stamps. They made an exact copy of the lettering and everything on the cartridge packet from the Xerox copy I provided.

When the stamp arrived, I simply found suitable wrapping paper, cut it to the proper size and then literally "stamped" out all the cartridge packet wrappers I and my friends needed.

Today, of course, one could find pictures of cartridge packets on the internet. Then size and clean up the image somewhat and literally "print" all the cartridge wrappers you need on your computer printer. While this might be a bit "farb," I am sure you could turn out some very good cartridge packet wrappers.

GOOD LUCK!!!

03-27-2009, 12:42 AM
If you contact John Rountree, 73rd NYVI, he makes authentic cartridge wrappers of many types of cartridges on a real antique printing press. They are virtually exact reproductions, and have that texture which you just cannot get by using a modern printer or copier.

Triggerfinger
02-25-2023, 02:21 PM
Hi,
If I wanted to have a custom stamp made for my 54 cal cardboard ammo box, would that be a 54/100?

John Holland
02-25-2023, 02:37 PM
If you do a search on the internet you can find good reference photos of original cartridge packs to copy.

Triggerfinger
02-25-2023, 02:52 PM
Thanks, I've got that already, but don't see a cartridge of 54/100. I see 52/100. I assume the 52/100 is the 52 cal. I know they didn't have the 54 cal. sharps

geezmo
02-25-2023, 05:25 PM
Dave,

I don?t know about ready made packets, but you can make your own easily. Check out capandball on eBay. He sells rubber stamps of repro cartridge labels for making your own ammo packs. Also check him out on YouTube. Also on YouTube search
forth armoury. That is Steve Sheldon, an N-SSA member, who has tutorials and sells templates for making your own cartridges. You can find him here by searching mailemaker or Steve Sheldon. He?s a wealth of knowledge. You can also check in on Brett Gibbon at papercartridges.com

Good luck,
Barry Selzner

Triggerfinger
02-25-2023, 05:28 PM
Thanks Gentlemen!

Bob Hatfield
03-05-2023, 08:05 AM
13168Not musket but if you're ever interested in something like this, here is a 44/100 revolver cartridge box with nitrated paper cartridges containing 24 grains of 3f Swiss and a Era's Gone Johnston and Dow bullet and 7 caps in the foil wrapper. I got the boxes from "Etsy" and the wrapper that covers the box seems to be made of some kind of cloth like paper that is waterproof. These are not always available as the guy makes them in batches. The contents are of my doing.

Bob