PDA

View Full Version : Sharps vs. Maynard et al

Eggman
06-01-2012, 04:39 PM
Well as some of you know Norm took this challenge way too seriously and beat the pants off me. He also nearly beat the whole N-SSA taking second place in the "Last Skirmisher Standing" contest. It seems like those Sharps shooters are like trying to make some sort of statement. Luckily, though, Norm only eats eggs from free range chickens, so the slider is yet to be collected until the Ruritans can verify their poultry origens.
Let me here state I am not a Sharps hater!! The fact is I shoot a son-of-Sharps, a hard core original Spencer. It's my favoite gun and got me within two positions of an individual repeater medal this time. It's just like a Sharps except it goes off every time, and doesn't freeze up.
Speaking of which, it was during the carbine match at the national that I encountered a Yankee team shooter with Sharps next door whom I observed basically just standing there gaping, staring, you know, just standing there motionless during almost the entire second event, because--- "I can't get my breach open." He said he was one of the Vermont hill people.
Also I would like here to comment on a recent Carolina Region comunique along these lines from a very high official which had the temerity of using the term "deranged" in reference to myself. This time, rather than shoot from the hip, I took John Holland's advice and went to the dictionary to clarify just what exactly the term means. It, the dictionary, says:
"deranged, adj., Affected with a high degree of intellectual independence; not conforming to standards of thought, speech, and action derived by conformants from study of themselves."
Enough said. There's more but you get the drift.

Jud96
06-02-2012, 01:07 PM
Well as some of you know Norm took this challenge way too seriously and beat the pants off me. He also nearly beat the whole N-SSA taking second place in the "Last Skirmisher Standing" contest. It seems like those Sharps shooters are like trying to make some sort of statement. Luckily, though, Norm only eats eggs from free range chickens, so the slider is yet to be collected until the Ruritans can verify their poultry origens.
Let me here state I am not a Sharps hater!! The fact is I shoot a son-of-Sharps, a hard core original Spencer. It's my favoite gun and got me within two positions of an individual repeater medal this time. It's just like a Sharps except it goes off every time, and doesn't freeze up.
Speaking of which, it was during the carbine match at the national that I encountered a Yankee team shooter with Sharps next door whom I observed basically just standing there gaping, staring, you know, just standing there motionless during almost the entire second event, because--- "I can't get my breach open." He said he was one of the Vermont hill people.
Also I would like here to comment on a recent Carolina Region comunique along these lines from a very high official which had the temerity of using the term "deranged" in reference to myself. This time, rather than shoot from the hip, I took John Holland's advice and went to the dictionary to clarify just what exactly the term means. It, the dictionary, says:
"deranged, adj., Affected with a high degree of intellectual independence; not conforming to standards of thought, speech, and action derived by conformants from study of themselves."
Enough said. There's more but you get the drift.
I have never seen my Dad's, Pap's, or fellow team mates Sharps Carbines ever freeze up and they have been shot since the 80s. The Sharps "problems" didn't show when my Dad used his to take 1st on our team for hits with 28 total and help us get A-3 2nd place carbine this Spring National. I did witness a skirmisher using a cleaning rod to eject a casing from his Maynard mainy times and miss most of his shots, so Maynards are not the only carbine out there without problems.

ms3635v
06-02-2012, 01:52 PM
Jud,

I have been shooting my Maynard since 1987 and have never had a problem with the cases getting stuck. As a matter of fact, my Maynard has never disappointed me. If the Maynard is cleaned properly after use and the cases cleaned and tumbled after use they shouldn't stick either. Maynards are very dependable carbines that require little maintenance. And, with the right bullet and powder combination, the Maynard is deadly accurate.

Jud96
06-02-2012, 06:08 PM
Jud, I have been shooting my Maynard since 1987 and have never had a problem with the cases getting stuck. As a matter of fact, my Maynard has never disappointed me. If the Maynard is cleaned properly after use and the cases cleaned and tumbled after use they shouldn't stick either. Maynards are very dependable carbines that require little maintenance. And, with the right bullet and powder combination, the Maynard is deadly accurate. I know the Maynard is accurate and reliable, but the ripping on the Sharps is getting old. Any weapon will have problems if not properly maintained and the Sharps is the same but it can also be one of the best and accurate when taken care of.

ms3635v
06-03-2012, 09:51 AM
Jud, I, too, believe the Sharps is a very accurate firearm. I have a Shiloh Sharps (Farmingdale) carbine that is extremely accurate. I do not skirmish with it, but shoot it at my local range and the darn thing is totally awesome. I shoot the Maynard in competition because, for me, the ammunition making process is very fast. The choice of firearms in use, in my opinion, simply stated, is what you feel most comfortable with and one that you find to be most accurate for you. We are very fortunate that there are many choices available for skirmishing.