PDA

View Full Version : Gallagher Carbine ....questions regarding tubes.

RaccoonRough Spence
05-28-2012, 08:08 PM
Okay,

I recently got myself a Erma Gallagher carbine. I plan on getting the barrel relined to .50 caliber. I want to shoot the same bullet that I shoot in my smith carbine.

I have come across some brass Gallagher tubes. I have a little over 50 Gallagher tubes (used) that appear to have been made for a .54 cal. bullet as the inside mouth of the tube is too loose for one of my .515 smith carbine bullets. But a .54 cal. bullet fits just fine. The recess is also a bit deeper in the tube. But they are all uniform and in decent used condition. My guess is, someone used them in an Erma .54 Gallagher.

I also have about 30 tubes (new) that are made for a .50 bullet. My .50 cal. smith bullet fits perfect. So question is....

Did/Does someone make Gallagher Tubes for the .54 Erma's? ........or were these modified from original type .50 tubes. Either way, I dont have a use for the tubes made for the .54 bullets. Since I am going to get my Erma lined to (Hopefully) shoot the same .50 bullet that my smith shoots.

Can someone who has been down this road before give some advice?

Should I perhaps post these .54 cal. Gallagher tubes up for trade..........or sale. Perhaps someone would trade me some .50 Gallagher tubes for these .54 cal. tube?

Any suggestions on sighting this in once its relined?

Thanks
Spence

mwmoore10261
05-29-2012, 10:45 AM
There are makers of .54 tubes and they are pricey. Sell your .54 tubes if you are going to reline as most set up the Erma to take the .50 caliber plastic tubes (less expensive) and the .515 Smith/Maynard bullet. Don't just send out your barrel as there is also breech modifications. Good luck. I shot the Erma Gallagher with a slow twist barrel for years before I switched over to Maynards. Was accurate but had a problem with ignition; the germans reproduced the same two 90 degrees turns from nipple to breech that the original had. Took hot CCI caps to fire. Got to trust your equipment or you build in little flinches and movements hoping that the gun goes off. Check the website for approved barrel makers and processes. If not on the list, you may need to get a small arms card for the weapon before you can use it for skirmishing.
Michael Moore, 10261V, St. Mary's Light Infantry

Lou Lou Lou
05-29-2012, 11:08 AM
As indicated, I believe it is now acceptable tp reline your Gallagher to take smith bullets and cartridges. Check the approvals for who can do the work

John Holland
05-31-2012, 12:48 AM
All Gallagers modified to take a Smith cartridge require a SAC individual approval card, as you will then have a "Smallager".

JDH

RaccoonRough Spence
06-01-2012, 01:57 PM
Thanks for all the replys.

However, when I get my Erma barrel relined. I want keep it as original as possible. I would rather use the gallagher tubes in it just like an original gallagher did. I would like to be able to use the same bullet as I use in my smith carbine, in the Gallagher tubes.

I know it would be cheaper to use smith tubes. But I would rather make this gallagher closer to an original one.

Guess I will post the fifty or so .54 cal. Gallagher tubes up for sale/trade on the board. Then use the funds to buy some more .50 cal. Gallagher tubes.

Is Bill Osbourne the best or only place to get some .50 Gallagher tubes?

Thanks
Spence