PDA

View Full Version : 575213 GP mould

tonyb
02-18-2009, 03:12 PM
Lyman said it was prolly modified after it left the factory. Maybe I have a one-of-a-kind. :D

RaiderANV
02-19-2009, 04:33 PM
Couldn't begin to guess how many of the regular Lyman 575213 molds were drilled all the way thru by skirmishers over the years to make a trashcan style bullet. Most I've seen were drilled ah wee tad off-cneter resulting in a bullet with a mind of it's own and the owner selling/ditching it. :roll:

tonyb
02-19-2009, 05:26 PM
This is true, but it just looks factory done. I'm going to cast a few to see what it does. I'll load a few with 45gr. If it punches clean hole great if not it's a paper weight. I think the base plug is a replacement, it has a brass ring at the wood. The wood is as big as a door knob. Looks like walnut.

Jim Strang
02-19-2009, 06:53 PM
Heck, all my Lyman base knob wood has been replaced. When you mould every night for 2-3 hours, it doesn't take long for the cheapo .factory wood handle to char and that inexplicable little brad to pull out.

My wood handles have been replaced with Bakelite ball-knobs about an inch-and-a-quarter in diameter, held in place by a set screw that doesn't burn or pull out. I made so bold as to write Lyman and suggest that they switch to these much more durable knobs. They wrote back saying they'd think about it. Maybe they're still thinking, I don't know.

But you'd think that a company whose product pretty much sets the standard for quality in the field would take steps to replace its weak-link part, offering a more durable handle, one that would hold up to the repeated high heat of the moulding. I don't think its casting public would blink at paying a couple bucks more for a mould whose base-plug handle wouldn't burn off within a year, but then, what do I know?

Greg Ogdan, 11444
02-20-2009, 08:32 AM
Gentlemen,
For the life of me, I cannot figure why you are still using removable base plug moulds. They are just too slow. I have several Rapine's, and also a couple of modified Lyman's, with captive base plugs. I can run over 450 bullets in 3 hours with a cull rate of less than 5%. Why would I want to deal with a standard Lyman please?

Jim Brake 3587
02-20-2009, 08:47 AM
Gentlemen ,I believe what you have is the 615 grain stake bullet that most of the Wash.Blue Rifles Shot At 100yds for years. It is very Accurate and on paper targets it leans a little and looks a lot like a double.

tonyb
02-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Gentlemen,
For the life of me, I cannot figure why you are still using removable base plug moulds. They are just too slow. I have several Rapine's, and also a couple of modified Lyman's, with captive base plugs. I can run over 450 bullets in 3 hours with a cull rate of less than 5%. Why would I want to deal with a standard Lyman please?

I'm never in a hurry and I enjoy it so. I don't even own a micowave, just not in a hurry to cook either. :roll:
And I do have fixed base plug moulds.

Greg Ogdan, 11444
02-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Tony,
You retired perhaps? I wish I were. Then I might have more time for the really important things in life, like shooting anything, hunting, fishing, cigars, beer, and tall tales. Life is good!

tonyb
02-20-2009, 02:51 PM
Tony,
You retired perhaps? I wish I were. Then I might have more time for the really important things in life, like shooting anything, hunting, fishing, cigars, beer, and tall tales. Life is good!

Not retired don't smoke, drink, hunt, fish But I have my own shooting range. Not doing the other I have time to just shoot, reload and shoot some more. Can't wait to retire then I can just SHOOT all day.

John Holland
02-20-2009, 05:11 PM
tonyb -

"Can't wait to retire then I can just SHOOT all day." HA ! ! !

That's what you think when you retire. Me too, until I retired. You know how you now look forward to the weekend when you'll get a day or two off? Being retired means that there is never a day off!

JDH

RaiderANV
02-21-2009, 12:15 AM
Gentlemen ,I believe what you have is the 615 grain stake bullet that most of the Wash.Blue Rifles Shot At 100yds for years. It is very Accurate and on paper targets it leans a little and looks a lot like a double.

Yeah....I remember all to well the wee talks at 100 yards over how many doubles thar be from those woobley rounds. :roll:

OH.....and John,,,,GET OFF YER DANG PUTER AND GET BACK TO WORK :!: :!:

Dang yankeees,,,,they'll try ta lay ah=round all day if'n ya let 'em :shock: