PDA

View Full Version : Non-Nationals Individual Qualifications?

Mike McDaniel
05-24-2012, 11:33 AM
It doesn't affect me personally, but I think we need to consider using non-Nationals scores for individual qualifications.

Right now, the only way to get classified is to shoot at the Nationals. Which demands that you take time off work. Friday - IF you aren't shooting any of the team events that day. Otherwise, you have to show up Thursday. Which some of our younger members can't do.

It's worse if you come from the more distant regions. For some of those Skirmishers, going to the Nationals is a rare treat, not a twice-a-year pilgrimage.

It seems to me that it would be reasonable to start using scores shot in other N-SSA matches for individual classifications. Both the NRA and USA Shooting count every shot fired in competition toward your classification - it seems to me that the N-SSA could manage to designate some Regionals as Classification Matches and use the scores shot there.

Thoughts?

Tom Magno, 9269V
05-24-2012, 12:10 PM
It doesn't affect me personally, but I think we need to consider using non-Nationals scores for individual qualifications.

Right now, the only way to get classified is to shoot at the Nationals. Which demands that you take time off work. Friday - IF you aren't shooting any of the team events that day. Otherwise, you have to show up Thursday. Which some of our younger members can't do.

It's worse if you come from the more distant regions. For some of those Skirmishers, going to the Nationals is a rare treat, not a twice-a-year pilgrimage.

It seems to me that it would be reasonable to start using scores shot in other N-SSA matches for individual classifications. Both the NRA and USA Shooting count every shot fired in competition toward your classification - it seems to me that the N-SSA could manage to designate some Regionals as Classification Matches and use the scores shot there.

Thoughts?

Agree Mike,
Since individual competition was eliminated for Saturday shooting after the 100th National, you have to be at the Fort on Wed, Thur or Friday (morning only on Fri) if you want to shoot individuals. OK for most of us within 2-4 hrs drive of the Fort, but not for those in other regions. Designating Regionals as Nationals Classification matches should be allowed. But, if Regional skirmishes could be used for National Classification, the rules for those specific classification targets would have to match the Nationals - ie, one target only-no reentry, 10-shots for score. Some regions shoot 5-shot targets, so they would have to adapt to 10-shots for national classification individuals. Shooters would have to declare targets shot for National Classification before shooting. The only difficulty I see in doing it, is that the Regional Skirmish Director would have to ensure that the scores were submitted to the National Stats Officer, who would then have to enter and update the data. Also, the question of how often can you qualify would have to be discussed. And then, how often would classes be updated. If you shoot 4 regionals and Nationals that gives you 6 opportunities to change class - when currently all skirmishers have two.

Mike McDaniel
05-24-2012, 12:58 PM
I'd figure on two reclassification periods, just like we have now. Just dump the scores into a central database, divide by the number of shots, and calculate an average.

As I mentioned, the NRA has been doing this for decades. With the Internet, it should not be a problem, especially if we limit the number of Skirmishes it applies to.

MR. GADGET
05-24-2012, 01:36 PM
Thoughts?

Help me out, I really don't follow.

For me, Tidewater, if I'm not overlooking something.
If you are not going to make it to Nationals to shoot your targets why worry?
The only thing that is classified is nationals, if you shoot, then you get classified, if you don't you are not.
So if you are not going to make it to nationals to shoot paper why worry about getting classified?
Is it used for something else? Used in some regions and not in others?

Can someone fill me in?

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
05-24-2012, 01:42 PM
Jon,

In the Middle Atlantic region most of our Individual events are classified.

MR. GADGET
05-24-2012, 02:32 PM
OK then there is a reason.....
Was thinking that but not sure, I thought it was a N-SSA thing and all must follow the same rules.

I remember the talk about doing in in Tidewater but there was also talk of the cost for the added Medals and do you shoot all 4 classes for all guns or not.
may only have one or 2 shooters in a few of the classes but still given 2-3 medals.

pastore
05-24-2012, 05:21 PM
All of the Central Virginia individual matches are classified.

MR. GADGET
05-24-2012, 05:49 PM
So how do you guys do the medals on a Reg that is in classes?
We just hosted our spring Reg, the cost of the medals was 350$ to almost 400$ or so.
If we broke out into 4 classes of say smoothbore and did 1,2,3rd, musket, carbine.....
Add in the team classes, everyone would get a medal and the cost would run 3-4 times what it is now.
Would you only do a 1st and 2nd for everything, even the teams.... Maybe only team medal or ribbons?

Mike McDaniel
05-24-2012, 06:42 PM
Depends on the number of shooters. Here in the Greater National Capitol theater (Ft. Shenandoah), most shoots have classified individuals. They'll reduce the number of medals if required to control costs.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
05-24-2012, 09:22 PM
Jon,

The reason to qual pre Nat'ls is simple. It would prevent someone who has that rare occasion when the gun holds still, from being classified above his head. I did just that in my first Nat's Musket outing. It took me several years to get properly classified. Just my $.02

Lou Lou Lou
05-25-2012, 06:48 AM
What about the issue of only one target per competitor at nationals. To be fair that would have to be enforced at the Regional, which would hurt the host teams who earn money via re-entries. Personally, the trip to Virginia from the New England Region is viewed as a vacation and an opportunity to catch up with long time friends. I have no problems with it.

MR. GADGET
05-25-2012, 08:28 AM
What about the issue of only one target per competitor at nationals. To be fair that would have to be enforced at the Regional, which would hurt the host teams who earn money via re-entries. Personally, the trip to Virginia from the New England Region is viewed as a vacation and an opportunity to catch up with long time friends. I have no problems with it.

For TW they sell extras for practice and shooting but not to be scored.
Only after the first marked target turned in, then extras sold.

Ron/The Old Reb
05-25-2012, 08:38 AM
The simple solution to that is, the first target bought is marked for score or classification. You could buy all the reentries you want and shoot all day long. And shoot the cassification target when you want. But what you shoot on the classification target is what you are classified on. A nother way to do it is to make reeentries unclassified.

Lou Lou Lou
05-25-2012, 09:26 AM
Ron
Not to quibble, but being able to shoot the classification target after practicing on the re-entries seems to defeat the idea of one chance to qualify as at nationals. The idea of not seliing re-entries until the first target is submited could work, but again it is an added burden on the host teams to assure compliance.

Regards

efritz
05-25-2012, 09:35 AM
What if ------ the competitor doesn't even turn in the target. Throws it in the trash. At the Nat's. you don't have that option.

Mike McDaniel
05-25-2012, 12:54 PM
It doesn't matter. The final score is enough to classify a shooter. If a match allows reentries, you aren't turning in your lowest scores, but your highest. Which would mean being in a higher class than your average would warrant.

Ron/The Old Reb
05-25-2012, 02:07 PM
Lou Lou Lou
I agree your idea makes more sense.http://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/images/icons/icon3.pnghttp://www.n-ssa.org/vbforum/images/smilies/icon_cool.gif

BobbyHannula8450v
05-25-2012, 02:34 PM
For the CV Region Skirmishes we buy all the medals at one time. Even though they are different types the manufacturer gives us the quantity discount which puts our medals at $2.25 each currently. There has been talk in the past about selling "practice" targets at nationals. These would be shot but not scored. You could shoot them before or after you shot your scoring target. If enough people were interested and thought this idea has merit, they could present it to the board. I personally dont have a problem with allowing classification at regionals, however, it does add a LOT more work for the Statistics Officer who already volunteers his time. It is probably not fair to ask more of him. My 2 cents worth.

Bobby Hannula
CV Region Commander

RaiderANV
05-26-2012, 10:04 AM
It doesn't matter. The final score is enough to classify a shooter. If a match allows reentries, you aren't turning in your lowest scores, but your highest. Which would mean being in a higher class than your average would warrant.

Mike,
That's assuming they're not sandbagging to get classed lower. Some folks enjoy an arm full of medals no matter what class are printed on them.