PDA

View Full Version : Model 1863 Maynard Carbine Accuracy

Scott Kurki, 12475
05-24-2012, 07:04 AM
I have heard that one can achieve tighter groups with the model 2 using full rather than reduced power cases and higher powder charges (35 gr verses 20 gr) of course. I am interested in seeing what our experience in N-SSA has been regarding this.

ms3635v
05-24-2012, 07:45 AM
Scott,

I shoot an original second model Maynard and have been using 35 grains of 3f under a Rapine 350 grain bullet sized to .518", in a full capacity case for over 20 years. The length of this bullet compresses the powder charge. Also, when I load the cartridge the top driving band of the bullet engages the rifling when I close the breech. This combination produces excellent, consistent, accuracy. A fellow team mate is also shooting a second model Maynard and is shooting 30 grains of 3f under a 350 grain bullet, also sized to .518", with excellent accuracy and no filler and is also achieving excellent results. Remember, the original Maynard bullet ranged from .518" to .525" in diameter with a range of bullet weights of 332 to 349 grains and powder charges averaging around 43 to 50 grains (Round Ball to Rimfire - volume 2, by Dean Thomas, pages 138-173).

Jim Wimbish, 10395
05-24-2012, 09:13 AM
Scott,

I have used both the reduced capacity and full capacity cases in Second Model Maynards. I prefer using the reduced capacity cases and the accuracy is outstanding. I have not noticed any better accuracy with the full capacity cases. I use between 25.5 and 26 grains of 3f with a bullet ranging from 350 to 365 grains. When I shot full capacity cases, I used about 33 grains of 2f. The only reason that I got the full capacity cases was because I had a bullet that was too long to fit in the reduced capacity cases. That bullet was the Romano 405 grain Maynard bullet. Unless you like to beat yourself up and use extra powder you don't need to use 35 grains of 3f to get good results. With most guns there are a number of points where the groups tighten up so there isn't just one load that will work. Generally speaking, I avoid heavy loads due to the extra recoil, fouling, and extra powder. If however, you were shooting at longer distances such as 200 yards plus, then the heavier loads would be better. However, for 50 to 100 yards, the heavier loads are not needed. You will get better accuracy if you can minimize recoil. That's why guys are shooting revolvers with 12 to 13 grains of powder.

Good seeing you over the weekend.

Jim

Mike McDaniel
05-24-2012, 09:44 AM
My father was using about 22 grains in his original 2nd Model. His Romano 1st Model, which I now shoot, really likes about 35 grains.

Scott Kurki, 12475
05-24-2012, 02:39 PM
Thanks all. I have been using 21 grains of GOEX 3F in reduced capacity brass with a Lodgewood .518 bullet. My results have been very good but since I had heard of some people getting "better" results with full capacity brass and higher charges, I got to thinking "what if...." I think I am just going to stick to my reduced capacity brass and work on my skiils some more for now.:cool:

William H. Shuey
05-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Hi Troops:

I hear several Gents talking about bullets sized .518", I assume they are shooting original barrels. My second model Maynard has a Jensco replacement barrel so what bullet diameter would be considered correct for that combination>??

Bill Shuey
1st Maine Hvy. Art.

ms3635v
05-25-2012, 09:29 AM
I just wanted to comment on an earlier post regarding powder charge weights. In the 25 years that I have shot my Maynard, I arrived at the 35 grain charge of 3f because that specific charge with the Rapine 350 grain bullet produced the tightest group in my carbine. As to the issue of fouling, I can say that after shooting a carbine match, I get very little fouling and can have it thoroughly cleaned in a very short amount of time. I was fortunate that my Maynard had a very bright bore with no pitting when I bought it and to this day, there is still no pitting. In response to Bill's thought about his Jencso barrel, I would say that I would slug the bore with a .515" bullet first and see how it fits the bore. If the bullet seems to pass too easily through the bore, I would then try a .518" bullet and see how that works. When you find the bullet that seems to fit the barrel the best take it to the range and try different powder charges until you find the tightest group and you should be set. Barring any unforeseen disasters, Maynards that are properly cared for will perform well for many years. They are very dependable firearms.