PDA

View Full Version : 1842 Springfield Musket

Calbeekeeper
05-23-2012, 12:38 PM
I am in need of a little guidance from the membership.
I have a 1842 Musket that belongs to my SIL.
It is a basket case and in its present condition will never be fireable.
I want to do a restoration so he can have it as a wall hanger and not be ashamed of it hanging there.
So far I have (using an electrolitis tank) derusted most of the smaller parts.
They are badly pitted and came out of the tank with a black rust coating that I can easly get off.
The stock was shattered at the wrist and was held together with the remanates of elmers glue and black electricians tape.
I Have pieced the stock back together with acraglas but will be unable to pin the repairs so that in itself precludes the weapon from ever being fired again.
The Barrel is toast with massive internal pitting, And has a bend in the last 8 inches.
All of these things I can repair but it reconciles it to being a wall hanger.

So Much for history.
The springfield Museum says all metal parts were in the white and the stock had a simple oil finish.
The finish I am OK with but the metal parts is where I am not sure.
Should I (using a soft rotary brush) remove all of the left over rust and blackening down to white metal or simply clean and preserve what is there?
This poor thing was toast from the beginning so anything I do only improves its longevity.

Thanks for you reading this and any help or advice you give.

Jim
AKA: calbeekeeper

Paul Lampman 263V
05-23-2012, 06:30 PM
In my humble opinion, since it will never have any real collectors value and the effort in restoring will be extensive, I would recommend that you try to preserve as much of the original apprearance as possible. Remember that it's a piece of history. Reasonable cleaning and repair work would be acceptable, do not try to make it bright again. The beauty of it will be long gazing at it and pondering where and how it was used. The stock could have been broken by using it as a club while in close combat. The barrel could have been bent will attempting to pry a log or limber off of a fellow soldier. I have an extensive US bayonet collection and I can get lost for several hours just pondering about them.

Maillemaker
05-24-2012, 12:04 AM
With the condition the stock sounds like it is in, it seems unlikely you will ever make the gun look even half-way presentable in terms of a restored firearm, unless you are able to work magic like some of those stock restoration wizards.

But it sounds like you have already started stripping the metal parts, so have at it! :)

Steve

Calbeekeeper
05-26-2012, 09:24 AM
Was able to repair most of the damage to the wrist area but was unable to pin it so it will not be shootable ( in my opinion)<br>Only removed enough of the rust to make it presentable and not all the way to factory white.<br>Has to have some aged look.<br><br>Jim<br>aka: calbeekeeper

bilge water bob
05-26-2012, 07:14 PM
got any pictures of the barrel? those metal parts don't appear too bad, what do internals of the lock look like?

Calbeekeeper
05-26-2012, 07:33 PM
The barrel is bent about 8 inches from the muzzle.
It is dented at the muzzle and the internals are abisimal.
Have not started on it yet but don't hold out any hope for it.

Lock internals are cherry!!
It has a broken trigger spring that I can get a replacement for.
Did not take any parts back to factory white as thought it deters from the look of the rifle.
Only other part missing is the nipple.
remenants were there but someone with vice grips made it junk and it was frozen into the barrel so drilling and retaping is the only answer

Jim
aka: calbeekeeper

Ron/The Old Reb
05-27-2012, 03:07 PM
I wouldn't be in a hurry to drill it out and retap it. I would soak it in penetrating oil for a few days or a week. Then try to get it out with a broken bolt extractor. Or did you already try that?

RickI
06-27-2012, 02:14 PM
The work you have done on the 42 seems pretty good. I restored a 42 last winter that was a barn gun and pretty bad. The stock was repaired by the hammer with a chunk of walnut and matched pretty well. a nose cap from S&S. rammer and barrel band completed the parts I needed. The nipple was smashed but some heat on the nipple and kroil allowed me to get it out with some vise grips. The breech had a marble stuck in it but I was able to get it clean. After honing the bore with a 12 ga 800 grit shotgun hone it became pretty servicable. When it was done (I thought) I noticed the barrel was bent or more bowed. Being an electrician it is really just a pipe made of pretty soft iron. I was able to straighten out the barrel by tweaking it here and there. It now shoots right on at 25 yards and my friend was very happy. This was in his family and belonged to his great, great etc. grandfather who was part of the Southern cause. It was nice to see it shoot and to preserve part of "his" history and well as "our" history. I'll bet Hoyt could help you out with the barrel if needed. Good luck

Southron Sr.
06-29-2012, 10:27 AM
Reinforcing the stock wrist would be easy:

[1] Remove the barrel from the stock.

[2] Using a long drill. Simply drill a hole from the rear portion of where the stock is inletted for the end of the tang.

[3] Just be careful not to hit the screws that attach the triggerplate to the stock.

[4] Fill hole 3/4 full of Glass Bedding Compound.

[5] Insert a threaded drill rod of the appropriate size and length.

[6] Apply Release Agent to the barrel tang, rear of barrel, etc and reinstall barrel.

[7] Let Glass Bedding "set" for several days and "Presto" you have a strong stock, capable of allowing the musket to be fired IF the barrel passes muster.

GOOD LUCK!

R Filbert
07-12-2012, 09:31 AM
SIL willing to part with those pieces? Or is it a family thing.