PDA

View Full Version : Potsdam Restoration Questions

grabenkater
05-07-2012, 03:30 PM
I recently picked up two Potsdam muskets in very good condition, considering the age. I am thinking about sending them to Mr. Hoyt and having them relined, one a rifle and the other a smootbore. I know this ultimately affects the value with collectors, but I would also like to have a shooter Civil War musket, I am not very happy with the replicas on the market these days.

The nipples are both battered from years of firing and one of the cleanout screws is frozen in place half way out. Any suggestions on how to free these up?

John Holland
05-07-2012, 07:12 PM
If you are going to send them to Hoyt, just have him remove them.

JDH

gmkmd
05-07-2012, 10:00 PM
When you say that you are going to have one lined as a rifle; is it correct for the configuration you have? The most common Potsdam configuration is the model 1809/39, which is a smoothbore. They have the block sight added to the tang. They were converted from smoothbore flintlocks (model 1809) to smoothbore percussion (in 1839).

A much smaller number were indeed rifled, and fitted with long-range barrel sights; the model 1809/39/55. But if yours only has the block tang sight then it should not have a rifled barrel.

grabenkater
05-08-2012, 07:50 AM
Thank you gentlemn!

I appreciate the advice, especially free advice, its my favorite price.

However, I was asking about removing frozen screws. I want to do this myself, before I ship them off to Mr. Hoyt.

efritz
05-08-2012, 12:01 PM
IF you have concerns about relining the barrels and destroying the collector aspect just buy one or two whole new barrels. Keep the originals and enhance the value by having a shooter and a collector. I believe by spending a little bit more for complete barrels will offset loss in value by relining them.

Mike w/ 34th
05-08-2012, 03:14 PM
I have to agree with Mr. Fritz. The loss of value for the gun of having an original barrel lined will more than offset the added cost of just having Mr. Hoyt make you a barrel. It's a couple hundred bucks, vs. a few hundred dollar drop in value by making it a shooter.

Also, agreeing with Mr. Holland, if you're asking for advice on removing screws and nipples, you probably don't have the equipment handy to do it without damaging the collector value. Mr. Hoyt does this sort of thing all the time, and it won't cost any extra to have the job done by a pro.

Free advice, worth what you pay for it. More, if you consider that we're preserving the value of your original investment.

-Michael