PDA

View Full Version : Positions/Relays at Nationals

Ken Hansgen, 11094
05-05-2012, 06:22 PM
I have an "opportunity" to serve on two cannon teams at Spring Nationals this year, if they are on separate relays that is. Winslow's Battery is usually on the first relay, but which relay will the 4th Louisiana team be on? I have seen the assignments as postd. but 4th Louisiana is not on the list. They have a new (to N-SSA) 6-pounder soothbore which I have been informed must first be inspected. Will they (providing they pass) then be assigned one of the vacant positions on Relay 2?

S Myers
05-07-2012, 12:34 PM
Ken-

I can't answer your question about position assignments, but on the subject of serving on two cannon crews, keep the following in mind:

22.9 SUBSTITUTION DURING A COMPANY MATCH
Substitutions are allowed in company matches, but no shooter may fire on more than one
musket company, one carbine company, one revolver company, one breechloading
rifle/carbine II company, one smoothbore company, and one artillery crew in the same
artillery class at a skirmish.

As long as the two cannons you serve are in two different classes, you're okay.

Sherry Myers

Ken Hansgen, 11094
05-07-2012, 09:28 PM
One is rifled, the other is not.

S Myers
05-08-2012, 07:15 AM
Then you're good to go!

rampa_room_artillery
05-08-2012, 07:51 AM
they can both be smooth bore or rifled guns, in the same class as long as they are not the exact same gun.

rick bryan

S Myers
05-08-2012, 09:46 AM
Rick Bryan,

Please cite your source, as Rule 22.9 seems pretty clear to me. Just for added info, here are the specific classes of artillery:

10.2.1 CLASSES OF ARTILLERY (amended 01/09)
CLASS ‘A’: Class ‘A’ to include all rifled guns, whether original or
reproduction and regardless of size.
CLASS ‘B’: Class ‘B’ to include all smoothbore guns, whether original or
CLASS ‘H’: Class ‘H’ to include all howitzers, whether original or
CLASS ‘RH’: to include all Rifle Howitzers, whether original or reproduction
with or without a powder chamber and whose bore length does not exceed 12
calibers. Example a 3"bore (diameter) would have a maximum bore length of
36".
CLASS ‘M’: Class ‘M’ to include all mortars whether original or reproduction
regardless of size.

Sherry

rampa_room_artillery
05-13-2012, 08:13 PM
thank you

rick bryan

rampa_room_artillery
05-13-2012, 08:17 PM
say i owned two mountain rifles, i can shoot them both at one national, or a mountain rifle and a parrot, or a mountain howy and a field howy, i can shoot them both, as long as they are not the same gun, or the same gun can be shot twice, say me and 6 people shoot my mountain rifle in relay 1 well, 7 different people can shoot the same gun in relay 3, now is that fair, probably not but those are the rules as they have been explained to me.
and that is how some teams shoot.

S Myers
05-14-2012, 02:46 PM
Rick,

Rule 22.9 clearly states what you can and cannot do when serving on an artillery crew. <one artillery crew in the same artillery class at a skirmish.>

Same gun, different crews - correct.
Different class of gun, same crew - correct.

Same crew, same gun, different relays - no.
Same crew, different gun, same class of artillery piece - no.

If you care to discuss this further, please email me at sharon.a.myers@comcast.net and we can make arrangements to meet at the national.

Sherry Myers
National Inspector General