PDA

View Full Version : Smith and Maynard carbine --Original barrels

red leg
04-19-2012, 11:15 PM
Need your help --What type of lead do you use in original .50 Smith or Maynard carbines with shallow rifling .Also type of powder, charge ,and bullet size .tHANKS --kEN

Lou Lou Lou
04-20-2012, 06:42 AM
It varies. Some folks use a hard lead for their carbines with excellent results. I prefer to use the same soft lead for all my N-SSA firearms. The fear is that you accidently cast hard Minies that don't obdurate satisfactorily.

ms3635v
04-20-2012, 08:23 AM
I use soft lead in both my original Smith and Maynard carbines. The Smith shoots a Rapine 350 grain bullet sized to .518 from .520 with 28 grains of 3f GOEX and the black plastic cases. The Maynard shoots the same bullet as the Smith, also sized to .518 with 35 grains of 3f GOEX in brass full capacity cases. I have used these loads for over 20 years and have never seen the need to change anything. Both carbines are very accurate with the loads.

red leg
04-20-2012, 06:02 PM
Lou Lou --Thanks for your input . What size Bullet and powder charge do you use ? --Ken
It varies. Some folks use a hard lead for their carbines with excellent results. I prefer to use the same soft lead for all my N-SSA firearms. The fear is that you accidently cast hard Minies that don't obdurate satisfactorily.

Muley Gil
04-20-2012, 09:49 PM
"The fear is that you accidently cast hard Minies that don't obdurate satisfactorily."

Now Lou, you know you can't be cussing on the BB. :D

RangerFrog
04-21-2012, 12:19 AM
For my Romano Maynard I use the same alloy I use for schuetzen and BP Cartridge Silhouette, pure lead and tin 25 to 1. I'm running low on that alloy and one of the best shooters on my team uses 2 to 1 lead to wheel weights, so I may try that, but I still use pure lead for minies and the round balls in my Remington revolver. Obviously I'm not shooting these loads in original barrels, because I don't have any original barrels, but that's the alloy I use.

Froggie

Lou Lou Lou
04-21-2012, 05:22 AM
I am usng 25 gr of FFFg Goex and a 395 gr .515 rapine Maynard/Smith bullet with good results in a Hoyt relined Original barrel