PDA

View Full Version : Smoothbore loading

hp gregory
04-18-2012, 09:10 AM
i thought i would mention this for you guys that like to spend more time shooting than loading ammo. bobby elka and i have been talking for some time about how a good fit of the ball to the smoothbore barrel is where most of the good shots come from. a little while back bobby devised a way to make smoothy molds on his cnc mill. with his program he can not only make round ball molds that are truly round they have very little sprue to deal with. bobbys molds are iron with a very thick sprue plate that helps make the ball fill out the same each time. he normaly makes the molds a little under bore size so the balls can be rolled on files and not turn out to large in dia. i thought since bobby can make the balls any size, i would get him to make one that casts a ball for a slide fit in my hoyt barrel. bobby made it up and i just tried it last evening. so far the new ball shoots to the same point of aim as the rolled ball. it also groups every bit as good or better. if this continue to pan out it will allow me to leave the files and rolling out of the loading process. this will mean less loading time and more shooting time.
another new item that bobby has come up with is a sprue remover. you turn the remover in a drill and hold the ball against it. it will remove the sprue in seconds while leaving the ball perfectly round and undamaged. just a few ideas on how to make the smoothbore loading process a little faster and easier without loosing those good shots that can be so hard to find.

hp gregory

Phil Spaugy, 3475V
04-18-2012, 10:54 AM
HP,

I agree. I used balls out of Bobbys new mold all winter at our MW region smoothbore shoot. I shot them smooth, with alox and they shot great !! No more rattling my balls in a can !!

Phil

Brownie 12th U.S.
04-18-2012, 10:59 AM
I'd like to get a sprue remover. Can you provide contact information?

Thanks.

Muley Gil
04-18-2012, 08:16 PM
"No more rattling my balls in a can !!"

Never mind. :confused:

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
04-18-2012, 08:48 PM
You said that right Muley! Phil got beat some because his balls were rattling.

MR. GADGET
04-18-2012, 09:54 PM
I'd like to get a sprue remover. Can you provide contact information?

Thanks.

I would like to see some pictures of the sprue remover....
does it work on several sizes or only one?

hp gregory
04-19-2012, 12:04 PM
the sprue remover is contoured to fit a ball .685 but it will work on smaller balls as well without hurting the ball surface. the tool is 5/16 on one end to fit a drill chuck. the other end is stepped up to .685 or so. the big end is countoured to fit the ball. there are cutting surfaces machined into the contour. as you turn the tool in the drill you hold a ball up against the contour and rotate it back and forth slightly. the sprue is removed leaving the contour of the ball intact. it takes less than 5 seconds to remove the sprue. speak with bobby elka and he can fix you up.

hp

Fearless Frank
04-26-2012, 09:11 PM
HP, any chance you could give me an address or phone# for Bob Elka?

Yancey von Yeast, 8073
04-29-2012, 11:38 AM
I too would be interested in a sprue remover. I will miss the files and finger cramps from filing off sprues, but I will have to deal! Is he making them for sale? If you have an email address, that would be great.

Thanks

hp gregory
04-30-2012, 11:58 AM
bobby elka has run off a batch of sprue cutters. they will be available at the nationals for 20 bucks each.you can catch either bobby or myself to pick one up.

hp gregory

Fearless Frank
05-01-2012, 06:28 PM
Save one for me. I'll look you up at the Nationals.
Thanks,
Walt Magee

MR. GADGET
05-01-2012, 10:14 PM
bobby elka has run off a batch of sprue cutters. they will be available at the nationals for 20 bucks each.you can catch either bobby or myself to pick one up.

hp gregory

Info on how to get up with you both, I would like to get one.

Ken Hansgen, 11094
05-03-2012, 07:16 PM
So whee does one find Bob Elka at a Nationals?

Bob Chabalowski
05-06-2012, 11:54 AM
Can't make the Nats .this spring but teammates will. Would like to reserve a spue cutter .How can I get in touch with this gentleman.? Would appreciate Bobbys email or phone no. Thanks Bob