PDA

View Full Version : Hughes BL Artillery

Edwin Flint, 8427
02-12-2009, 12:37 PM
Quite awhile back I asked for some information on the Hughes Breechloading artillery piece used by Ward's Artillery. I have just found one that is for sale for a mere $90K. :shock: Just a bit out of my reach. :lol:

www.cannonsuperstore.com (http://www.cannonsuperstore.com)

Someone I spoke to was considering building one of these. I am interested in the progress on that project.

cannonmn
02-13-2009, 08:56 AM
Beware of online cannon sellers, check the various postings on the Graybeard Blackpower cannon and mortar site before you even think of sending any money.

Check under various names such as you mentioned, also Tony Wells, Bronzecannon, Dennis Standifer, Chuck Wright, and probably others.

One of them cost me about $2K, that's why I'm mentioning it. They got my money then said they couldn't get the cannon they already sold me.

They all operate their businesses from overseas locations so you can't touch 'em.

R. C. Hubbard Jr
02-13-2009, 07:45 PM
Ed,
The gun that you posted is the gun that I measured for our project. We have just recently started. Most of the iron work complete or at least roughed. Barrels are done. the recievers (breechloading actions) are ready to come home from work, but still have alot of work to be done. Hope to be done in the spring or early summer.

Bob

Edwin Flint, 8427
02-13-2009, 09:13 PM
Bob,

I found a reference that the initial purchase was for 10 guns, 2 guns per section, were purchased from the MFR for the tidy sum of $6,000.00.

Ward's unit was initially formed in in Panola, Ms. Ward initially intended to form only a company, but by displaying one of the pieces in a local livery he ended up with enough recruits to form a battalion (3 company's)sized unit. The later companies were armed with standard ML cannons.

Still reading when I can but little time for research. Sure wish I had enough spare change to buy the little gun. :roll: :lol:

Look forward to seeing it on the line in Winchester.

R. C. Hubbard Jr
02-15-2009, 06:22 AM
Ed.
It would appear that most of Wards were captured at Champions Hill/Vicksburg. I can't tell which portios were captured. I wonder if there is a list of captured stores for Vicksburg somewhere? Someday.

Bob

cannonmn
02-15-2009, 06:38 AM
Here's one article with a couple of references to Hughes guns at Port Hudson; you've probably already seen this but I just found it today.

http://www.historynet.com/siege-of-port-hudson.htm

Edwin Flint, 8427
02-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Bob,

I suspect you are right. Ward's unit was trapped in Vicksburg by Grant. I think 2 pieces were lost before the seige/surrender at Vicksburg in action along the river just North of there when they mired in mud during a pull back to Vicksburg and had to be abandoned.

I think I told you, I got interested in this gun because a relative was in the unit. Until I saw a referernce connecting him to this piece, I had never heard of the Hughes. S. P. Lester (He is kin by marriage) was Senior first LT of Co. A when the unit first organized . I suspect like my GGF, after the powers that be found out he was a physician, he was sent else where to serve in that capacity, not on the line. I suspect this because later muster roles don't show him listed. I will research more as time allows.

Cannon,

Thanks for the article. I have seen this mention of the Hughes at Port Hudson. I wish it had some source references mentioned. I know that at some point, Ward's was given other guns during the Vicksburg campaign, but what I have read so far is confusing. As I understand it, 12 Hughes were made. I believe 10 went with Ward's Co. A. Where the other's went, I don't know. This might be them or maybe some shifting around of pieces that were once Ward's.

I know this much, so far I have seen nothing of the Hughes mentioned after the Vicksburg/Port Hudson surrenders.

R. C. Hubbard Jr
02-16-2009, 09:31 PM
Ed,
There were about 50 Hughes guns produced in a couple of types and calibers. There was a fair article in a recent (I think 2008 Fall) Artilleryman mag. Some known info left out but still ok.

Bob

R. C. Hubbard Jr
10-07-2009, 08:40 PM
bTT

Edwin Flint, 8427
10-07-2009, 09:55 PM
Bob,

Thanks again for letting me help out on the crew. It was a first for me and quite a thrill. I was surprised and honored when I was asked to participate.

Glad that you went back and found the post. I was going to pull it up and tell about the firing at the Fort.

I amazed at how many folks looked and and admired the Hughes Gun at Nationals. It stood out in the Red Carriage and polished copper water jacket. It definitely turned a few heads. Dave Jackson was definitely green that day, and I am not talking about his uniform piping. :P

For those that don't know, the gun is Breech loading, water cooled, 1 1/2" rifled cannon. Unique carriage in that the ammo chests and tool chests were mounted astride the axle of the gun carriage, not in a seperate caisson.

The gun showed lots of potential. This was the first time the gun had been shot at 200 yards. Once Brian figured out where to aim for 200 yards, The gun had a string of 5's, 7 if I am not mistaken.

I was honored to be allowed to fire the gun. It was the hightlight of this Nationals for me. :D I want to thank Brian, Bob, Chris, and all the others for allowing me to crew on this fine gun. I hope to see it again on the line next year.

Norm Gibson, 4901V
10-07-2009, 10:48 PM
http://i583.photobucket.com/albums/ss279/Artilleryman/100_0325-1.jpg

Ed Flint firing Hughes gun at 120th Nationals as part of the 7th Wisconsin gun crew. Firing for the first time at 200 yards.

R. C. Hubbard Jr
10-07-2009, 11:30 PM
Thanks Norm for posting the photo.

Bob

RaiderANV
10-08-2009, 12:51 PM
I was wondering what those funny lookin' rounds were I was digging out the bank. Is the rifling cast into the round when molded or just a band?

Norm Gibson, 4901V
10-08-2009, 02:02 PM
No, since it is a breechloader the rounds engrave on firing.

Minieball577
10-08-2009, 04:32 PM
I guess by now it is not surprising the amount of times I heard comments to the effect of "They never used anything like that in the war". It is amazing what a little research can dig up.

R. C. Hubbard Jr
10-11-2009, 04:53 PM
This nice little video was taken at the Fall Nationals by skirmish notes.com.

http://skirmishnotes.com/artillery/hugh ... impresses/ (http://skirmishnotes.com/artillery/hughes-cannon-makes-noise-impresses/)

You might also hit home at the bottom of the page and read the rest of the skirmish blog.

Norm Gibson, 4901V
10-11-2009, 05:33 PM
Nice video.

Edwin Flint, 8427
10-12-2009, 10:39 PM
Nice Video. Only inaccuracy I saw was they left Norm off the list of the Crew. He handled the powder and shell chest. Not sure what it's called in CW artillery but on a ship it was sometimes called powder monkey I think.

Norm Gibson, 4901V
10-13-2009, 10:38 PM
Ed thanks for the recognition, I think. Actually all the cannoneers' places/duties were by the numbers except for the gunner who was referred to as the gunner.

Hugh McLeod, 07373
11-04-2009, 06:04 PM
Very cool video. Thanks for the history lesson.

I also wanted to say "good shooting". I know how tough it can be when working up a new piece.