PDA

View Full Version : Pedersoli Sharps

Paul L
04-02-2012, 11:12 PM
Hi Experts!

What is your opinion of the Pedersoli Sharps? I hav a chance to purchase a used one, and know next to nothing about them. This is the version with the patch-box. It looks like it has rearly been fired since all the finish is still present. The asking prie is $800. I know there probably is a bit of work needed to make it skirmish ready, but as far as quality what is your opinion?

Thanks!

Paul

Eggman
04-03-2012, 07:30 PM
Well Paul I haven't shot a Sharps for a long time but I know the patch box is a great place to store your bubble gum.

William Schoenfeld, 1386
04-03-2012, 09:42 PM
It is a great weapon and if you give it to Charlie Hahn to work on you will not have a problem with it. The price is an excellent price. Just my 2 cents worth - I have one and I enjoy it!
Dutch Schoenfeld
Mosby's Rangers

Southron Sr.
04-04-2012, 06:17 PM
I purchased a Pedersoli Sharps from Dixie Gun Works a dozen years ago and it is the "Rolls Royce" of replica firearms. The fit and finish was fully equal to that of a pre-war German Luger....and it doesn't get much better than that. It was and still is extremely accurate. As my breech froze up after about a dozen rounds from fouling, I carried the breechblock down to a local machine shop and had a $20.00 "O" Ring job done. Now I can shoot 75 to 85 rounds before the breech block starts to get hard to operate. You can check the "Archives" of this BB to see how I did my "O" Ring job. I make my own combustible cartridges using Ladies Hair Curling papers. I purchased something like 10,000 from a Beauty Shop Wholesaler for around $8.00, so they are much, much cheaper than cigarette rolling papers which have some hidden federal cigarette taxes in them. The Ladies Curling papers come the right size-so, I don't have to cut them down. Charlie Hahn sells cardboard cartridge tubes that make it a "breeze" to assemble your own Sharps cartridges. I highly recommend them.

Charlie Hahn
04-05-2012, 01:53 PM
The Pedersoli has one of the best factory barrels, the steel is nice and hard. You can get parts for the lock and they fit with a small amount of work. The pistol grip is a little boxy, but easily fixed. As with all Sharps you will need to do something with the breech to make it a Skirmish gun. The price looks reasonable. A few things to check for when looking the gun over,

Has the breech block been abused, are they hammer marks where it may have frozen up, and was beaten open. Look at the clean out screw to see if it can be taken out. These freeze as well and sometimes need to be machined out. Is the gas check plate etched? Is is frozen to the block. See if the sleeve is frozen in the breech. Check under the fore arm to see if the gun has been or fire, also look for cracks as sometimes they may have gotten loose powder in there and had a small event.

These conditions deduct from values as they need to be fixed, and will cost the new owner.

There are several ways to address the breech freeze, I offer one way, there are others, make sure you see the upgrade working, and understand what it is. What are the consumables, is there a part number to buy, do I need a machine shop to keep my gun working?

I have a customer package I can send for your review. It helps with questions so you can make an informed selection.

Charlie Hahn
410-208-4736

Paul L
04-16-2012, 12:11 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys! Eggman, that patchbox is just big enough for a pack of gum! Southron, I will look up your posted articles on the Sharps.

I did buy the Sharps. It is really nice! Charlie, I checked everything you mentioned...the clean-out screw can be removed, the barrel sleave is not frozen, the stock and forearm look really good. There is some etching on the faceplate, so I guess that would need to be replaced. Any idea where I can find one of those?

The previous owner had installed a tang sight, so there are a couple extra holes on the tang. Other than that, it all looked really good to my unprofessional eye. I am happy with it.

Thanks again!

Paul