PDA

View Full Version : 1971 Navy Arms Zouave

oscarlovel
04-10-2008, 05:24 PM
I just purchased a 1971 Navy Arms Zoli Zouave in like new condition. A few scuffs here and there but the bore looks mint. I'd appreciate any words of wisdom that you might have for this musket. I'm particularly interested in bore size, loads, etc. Does it like a .575 minie? Rate of twist? My first skirmish musket was a Zoli Zouave that had been rebarreled with a Whitaker barrel, so that experience is of little help here. I understand that these Zoli Zouaves from that far back were a better quality repro. Let me hear from you all.

Gary B
04-11-2008, 08:56 AM
When I first started, I purchaed a new 1979 Zoli Zouave. It shot well with a .575 Lyman big mini and 39 grains 3f goex. Went to .576 later.
I recently got very nice bench groups with the .576 Hogden Target mini and 39 grains 3f.
Hope this helps,
Gary B.

Lou Lou Lou
04-11-2008, 12:58 PM
My first musket was a Zoli of the late 70's. It really liked the .575 RCBS unsized.

efritz
04-12-2008, 08:31 PM
I have an early NAZ. Inspect yours to make sure it dosen't have a brazed bolster. I asked a rep one time about that and they said they didn't make any. I said I have one and showed him. If it's brazed, it illegal and unsafe.

William H. Shuey
04-13-2008, 02:21 AM
The last Marriotsville skirmish I attended, don't remember the exact year. I was shooting individuals on Saturday afternoon, out on the line banging away. I am aiming when I hear a slightly different sound from the musket to my left and am sort of conscious of something flying past in front of my eyes. Next thing I am hearing some truly impressive language, also coming from my left. I lower my weapon and look there and the shooter is shaking his somewhat scorched right hand and looking at the breech end of his rifle. The bolster is gone and the hammer is back on half cock.
Yes Junior, there are brazed bolsters out there!

Bill Shuey
First Maine Hvy. Art.

oscarlovel
04-13-2008, 08:33 AM
OK. So how do I check to see if it is brazed or not?

Gary/CO
04-13-2008, 10:11 PM
Remove the screws that hold the lock on (from the left side of the stock). Remove any barrel bands and the ramrod. Remove the tang screw. Turn the gun upside down and with your hand beneath the barrel, tap the heel against the floor. The barrel should drop out into your hand. Then you inspect.

oscarlovel
04-16-2008, 08:37 PM
Checked the bolster and it isn't brazed, so hallelujah! I looked again, though, and this isn't a Navy Arms, though it was manufactured by Antonio Zoli and imported by SPESCO in Atlanta, GA. in 1971. Could stand a trigger job and barrel bedding. Probably will get Dan Whitacre top reline the barrel in the late Fall.

RaiderANV
04-20-2008, 09:12 PM
Errrrrrrrr,,,,,,why don't you shot it to see how it groups before you reline it :idea:

I have had several early Zoli Zouaves from the 60's into the early 70's and everyone of them shot as well as any reline job. Also the early guns ran larger in the bore dia. Zouave I've been shootin' since 1983 has a .581 bore and loves a Lyman 575213 unsized round. It casts at .5795 and 35 grains of 3F Goex.