PDA

View Full Version : The battle has begun-Sharpes vs Maynard

kowdok
03-19-2012, 09:44 PM
The first of which I'm sure will be many more to come, battles of the Sharpes vs Maynard, has come and gone in the Carolina Region. 6 Maynards vs 3 Sharpes---Maynards-69 hits=11.5 hits per gun; Sharpes-61 hits=20.3 hits per gun. Us Maynard guys better start practicing more. 2nd round to be held in 2 weeks at Ft. Allison. Bear down guys.

ian45662
03-20-2012, 07:47 AM
I must say.... GO SHARPS!!!!!

John Holland
03-20-2012, 08:13 AM
WOW! The Maynards sure have an uphill climb ahead of them. I can hardly wait to see the results from the next skirmish!

JDH

Eggman
03-20-2012, 09:28 AM
Kommander Kowdoc omitted the grand humiliation. At the close of the skirmish the Palmettos opened the range for a shoot-off for the N-SSA sanctioned all star team competition this coming national. There were three enties,all from the Iredell Blues -- Kommander Kowdoc, with his long barreled Maynard, Norm, with his ubiquitious Sharps, and Little Kowdoc the Picture Hanger, with his musket. After the first string of four pigeons, Kommander Kowdoc and Little Kowdoc the Picture Hanger were no longer in the competition. The region commander, Gordon, then ordered Norm to keep firing until he missed. Norm, to the amazement of all broke fourteen straight pigeons before his cartridge box ran empty, whereupon and he retrieved two additional rounds of uncertain ancestry from his shooting box. With one of these finally missed. Not only did Norm hit the pigeons, but they also all appeared to be center shots. An incredible display of marksmanship. I'm beginning to doubt that by spring slider wager with Norm for the spring national was a wise one.
I got to thinking that maybe Norm's performance might be some kind of record, so yesterday I contacted the Guiness folks to see if they had any entries in their records as to most pigeons broken in a row, or most Sharps hits in a row, or anhything like that. To my amazement the lady said there is an entry that dates all the way back to 1857. It was submitted by one Pvt. John Smith of the 2nd U.S. Cavalry, most interestingly, witnessed by Col. A. S. Johnston himself. It was for most shots fired in a row by a Sharps carbine without a misfire. It did not specify whether anything was hit. The record was seven, and it has stood unchallenged for 154 years.
The lady was most receptive to a new submisssion by Norm and has forwarded the appropriate forms to him.
The lady had no details about Pvt. Smith's background, so I contacted the U.S.Army Personnel Archives Center in Georgia to see if they could provide any additonal information. According to the center, there were 74 Pvt. John Smiths in the 2nd Cavalry in 1857, and and a total of 744 John Smiths in the Army altogether. They were not able to narrow down the specific John Smith in question.

Lou Lou Lou
03-20-2012, 10:35 AM
I take this to mean that it might not be the firearm but the skirmisher behind it that makes the difference.

norman horne, 12321
03-21-2012, 12:52 PM
I do declare Egg, your kind words have almost brought me to trears; where's that danged tissue box? See you in a couple weeks. Norm.:)

Brad Schuler
03-21-2012, 06:39 PM
Yup, GO SHARPS!!!:D

Lou Lou Lou
03-22-2012, 06:59 AM
I'll take those rotten old Maynards offen yore hands for 10 cents on the dollar.

Yore buddy.
LOU

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
03-23-2012, 09:15 AM
Well, I guess the boys from the 110th will be down for the April fools to see how those Maynards work since none of have one. We just shoot the Sharp's and Smith's. BTW, it might just be the shooter and not the gun! That is correct.

As for how many shots berfore lockup of a Sharp's, I go a whold Skirmish without lockup or re-greasing. I don't shoot as well as Norm though!

Michael T.
03-23-2012, 10:38 AM
Be careful down there, after last year I hope you take reinforcements ,wouldn't want to see you captured again... You still may be outnumbered...
Shoot straight.... Mike

Eggman
03-23-2012, 10:58 AM
Greg - you must be using that same poached bear grease Norm uses. The Carolinians extend the laurel wreath of welcome to you and your fellow Ohioans again, and on behalf of the Iredell Blues, we again extend our offer of unlimited free coffee to you and your teammates for the entire weekend.

Greg Ogdan 110th OVI
03-24-2012, 08:45 AM
Coffee?! In Carolina?! Is that the best you can do? I heard NC was where NASCAR started; and you know what got that started!

Eggman
03-24-2012, 01:35 PM
I'll check into it Greg. We have a Lutheran here in Alabama named Spinal Meningitus Snodgrass (I know it's an unsual name; according to Spiny [the name we call him], even though his father was a doctor he was still an idiot) that makes a strawberry flavored brew much in favor. I'll see what I can do. A warning though, Spiny frequently samples his own product, sometimes with dubious results. Last Sunday he was playing a guitar in church with only five strings and couldn't seem to tell the defference. Anyway, in all honesty our thought was to provide the 110th with something along the lines of a group widener, not a group tightener. But perhaps if we provide enough of the strawberry concoction we can achieve the same result.

Lou Lou Lou
03-25-2012, 07:45 AM
The fella who invented the breechloading rifle you refer to was Christian Sharps. No "E"". I'm just sayin.

Time to stir the pot.

Francis J. Miller Jr, 02601
03-25-2012, 08:34 AM
Lou Lou Lou,

It finally got the best of Ya. I saw it too right from the start, a little unsettleling at first, but I justed looked at it as a "silent E", for us Sharps owners know what we have, and also know how to properly spell it.

Eggman
03-25-2012, 06:51 PM
Bad news Greg - Spiny is gone off to Nebraska for awhile so none of his strawberry juice is available. Perhaps the Tars or Palmettos can supply something, but the corn down here is dwarfish and anemic.