PDA

View Full Version : Improved Rubber Smith Tubes

SBALLA
03-19-2012, 10:09 AM
I have improved the Rubber Smith Tube too be more consistent and last longer by adding a brass grommet to the flash hole. This prevents the flash hole from opening up which is the main reason the tubes wear out.
Check them out at: www.yoresupply.com (http://www.yoresupply.com)

Steve Balla
Yore Supply Co.
Huron Rangers Riflemen
Comp# 6593v

jonk
08-04-2014, 02:35 PM
Old thread, but since hardly anyone seems to be using these (but me), let me give a quick product review.

The Yore orange rubber tubes are good for these reasons:
1. Cases don't change dimensions (i.e., swell)
2. Grommets mean flash holes don't enlarge (or do so very slowly)
3. Soft tubes means seating bullets, chambering, and extraction are all flawless.

The bad:
1. I had to open up my nipple in a major way to get the charges to go off; not an issue with the hard plastic tubes with bigger flash holes. Even so, use of a sticker over the flash hole is absolutely not going to work. Tubes must be kept nose down at all times. Granted, this is my experience only. A larger grommet would be nice, or a choice as to grommet size. Perhaps selling the grommets seperately to the tubes for those who do and don't want them, with a size choice for the touch hole?
2. Because the base of the case is tapered, it means you can't really use a hair curler paper cut out inside the tube to seal the case either, which could be nitrated and would blow through.
3. Less support of the bullet in theory could mean it would have more runout, and be less accurate. In theory. For 50 yards, I doubt it makes a difference.

The mediocre:
Just one thing here. NEW hard plastic tubes grip the bullet far better than these do, but these grip adequately and far better than OLD well used black plastic tubes. I haven't had a bullet slip out even upside down, but they come close, and a good shake would send them flying. See my point about the larger holes, which would permit stickers and storing the cases nose up, with less chance for bullet slip.

Overall I think these are the best non-brass tubes on the market, but there's room to make a few improvements.

iron brigade
08-04-2014, 09:11 PM
I bought 80 of these tubes from yore supply. they work okay in my sons smith carbine but not mine. we have been using Old Eyensford 2ff and have experience no misfires, on the other hand my friend and his wife were using them on a skirmish this weekend and had many misfires. they were shooting 3fff KIK.

my guess is the OE powder is hotter. not sure they will last as long as the black tubes.

Jim Barber
08-05-2014, 10:44 PM
I've been using my dad's rubber tubes with metal base plugs, and I suspect most are 20+ years old. I have two distinctly different types: one rusts, the other corrodes. That said, they extract easily every single time, and off a bench they'll make you a rock star. I've shot the Smith (an original Poultney & Trimble) horribly the entire time I've shot it, but when it's benched it makes one jagged hole in the paper. Doesnt matter which tube I use, the gun shoots flawlessly every time.
I loathe cleaning these tubes, as the rubber tubes can't be heated and the metal will either corrode or rust if moistened, so they're cleaned inside and out with a cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol, plus a paperclip for the fire channel in the base plugs. What a drag!

But then, I also don't care for carrying a pair of channel locks to extract a stuck plastic tube. Whoever comes up with a thermally happy rubber tube combined with a non-reactive metal base plug gets my vote! I can barely resist the impulse to put the GD things in the dishwasher and crank it up to "pots n pans!" ...I've been warned that I'll destroy the lot and be buying dad new tubes, channel locks and probably beer if I try this method...

Jim B.

bobanderson
08-06-2014, 05:58 AM
I use plastic tubes with rivets inserted in the vent. Tubes are lasting for quite a while. Necks will go out long before the vents.
I did have to turn down the tubes a bit to fit the Hoyt chamber.

Maillemaker
08-06-2014, 12:45 PM
I loathe cleaning these tubes, as the rubber tubes can't be heated and the metal will either corrode or rust if moistened, so they're cleaned inside and out with a cloth dampened with rubbing alcohol, plus a paperclip for the fire channel in the base plugs. What a drag!

Have you considered tumbling in a corn cob media? You will probably have to go over all the tubes with a prick to remove media from the flash hole, however.

Steve

Jim Barber
08-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Steve,

To normal people that probably makes sense. I'm incredibly cheap, and don't have a tumbler or any of those fancy accoutrements. Not only do I make my own felt wads for revolver, I use a hole punch I stole from work to pop wads out of other peoples' hats at skirmishes. I'm THAT cheap!

Seriously though, if I ever get into reloading (modern stuff) I reckon my irritation with cleaning those rubber tubes will go away with the purchase of a case tumbler.

Keep your hat pulled down tight!

Jim

gmkmd
08-14-2014, 10:54 PM
I've always cleaned my black plastic Smith tubes in the washing machine. Simplest darn thing in the world. I put them in a zippered mesh bag (they sell them for washing delicates) and toss it in with the laundry. I've used the same set of tubes for like six years with no problems at all.

2kycav
08-26-2014, 11:54 AM
For what its worth, I used a Pietta Smith last weekend and the rubber tubes actually caused the breech to pop open, which aint too cool when shooting.......went to the black plastic tubes, and no issues........to each his own, but I will be sticking to the black plastic.......

Muley Gil
08-27-2014, 08:17 AM
For what its worth, I used a Pietta Smith last weekend and the rubber tubes actually caused the breech to pop open, which aint too cool when shooting.......went to the black plastic tubes, and no issues........to each his own, but I will be sticking to the black plastic.......

You musta bought one of the new semi-automatic Smifs!

Ron/The Old Reb
08-27-2014, 03:40 PM
"I put them in a zippered mesh bag (they sell them for washing delicates) and toss it in with the laundry."

A good way to meet a fate worse then death.

jonk
08-27-2014, 04:16 PM

I had that happen with the rubber tubes as well, but only when I was really starting to reach some high power (relatively) loads... 32 gr of swiss 3f and a 400 gr bullet for instance.

2kycav
08-28-2014, 08:47 AM
I was using 28 grains of FF and the standard .515 Smith bullet in my semi-auto Smith........lol.......wont happen again though........thanks Gil for the humorous thought .........