PDA

View Full Version : Ultrasonic cleaner

norman horne, 12321
03-14-2012, 11:45 AM
I have recently acquired an ultrasonic cleaning unit and was wondering if anyone uses one to clean parts. I was thinking maybe taking the wooden handles off my revolver and dunking the whole thing in. Any hints, helps, experiences? Thanks, Norm.

Michael Bodner
03-14-2012, 12:47 PM
Palmetto Sharpshooters would like to expressly forbid Norm from taking a bath in his new cleaning unit, especially with the tent flaps up....

See y'all this weekend Norm!!

-Mike

Lou Lou Lou
03-14-2012, 01:09 PM
Over on the castboolit.com websit there was info on using one to clean brass cartridge cases. Did an outstanding job. They have the specifics

Gary Van Kauwenbergh, 101
03-14-2012, 03:29 PM
I do just what you're describing. It's amazing when little red rust globuals appear on pores you never knew were there. When you get the parts dry, be sure to coat them with a light oil, like Kroil, to fill them pores back in.

matt
03-17-2012, 07:00 AM
I use one to clean my BP cartridge cases and it works very well.
Matt
Winslow's Battery D 1st NY Light Artillery 9775v

mwmoore10261
03-22-2012, 08:01 PM
I use black powder solvent in my ultrasonic cleaner to clean all my cases and also my revolver cylinders. I wouldn't recommend
putting the entire revolver in the cleaner unless you could positively dry and oil all unseen areas. Hammers, nipples and screws are all good candidates for ultrasonic cleaning. When I clean cases the last step is running one of the new dental floss brushes through the rear opening [Maynard cases] while rinsing. I do the same process with revolver, carbine and musket nipples. See you at the Nationals.
Mike Moore, 10261V

w